Monday, September 8, 2014

Food

When I was making the coleslaw and had just had the other 5 guys move in, the household had previously been living like it was sharing fridge space with much fewer people, and my old roommate who'd moved out left a lot of food. So when I moved in my cabbages, carrots, onions, and dressing, I felt I needed to make space for it. My solution was to eat a whole bag of Romaine lettuce and a bag of baby carrots. Then I proceeded to hand-grate coleslaw for three hours. One of my roommates waited until about the third hour and was like "Dude, how much salad are you going to eat?"

I realized the guy had just seen me eat four bowls of salad and had no idea I planned to share the coleslaw. Must've thought all I ever do is eat salad.

It's hard when people leave you random food. I got two things of ice cream syrup, so now I'm going to have to buy ice cream to get rid of the syrup. And three types of jam were left behind. And I'm going to have to get something to dip in all this Thai sauce.

I made banana bread for the first time. My roommates commented on how I'm always experimenting in the kitchen and asked me how I know to do so much. I got called a "great cook". I don't feel particularly knowledgeable but am grateful for the praise.

I haven't bought meat from the grocery for months. I've developed some weird rule that I can't prepare meat but can eat it if I go out. So it's like a celebratory thing, not a staple of my daily diet, as it used to be. I don't know if this endeavor is useful at all. I feel pretty much the same.

Had my first day of placement today. First week is just paperwork and office stuff. I've been through it twice before because of my previous student placement and because of the summer program but my fellow placement student hasn't, and there are three university students working in main office going through it too, so they have me there as a show of solidarity or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment