Saturday, July 18, 2015

Vibrant Volunteers

We just had our Vibrant Volunteers Week at the Summer Program. We went to the Community Centre, the Family Centre, and the Humane Society. Facile runs through the Family Centre, so my boss from there got to see me working my other job. Kind of like when one of the Extend-a-Family higher ups showed up at the Student Life office while I was working for the Respect Campaign. Bosses colliding.

Actually, I have Vibrant Volunteers to thank for getting me acquainted with some of the Facile folks. When I applied for Facile, I didn't expect to know a handful of people because I'd led a group there for Vibrant Volunteers almost a year previous.

I was a little salty last year about actually having to work during this week, since I'd become accustomed to being paid to play. But a coworker pointed out that I'm getting paid to volunteer, which made me feel better.

At the Community Centre, the team I'd led was in charge of assisting preschool kids. Snack time was a sight to see. I saw some of those little ones pulling out those yogurt containers that you can eat in like, two scoops. But these children were small enough that they had to lift these cups with both hands. To them, these tiny cups were the size of large bowls of soup.
These kids must eat their weight in food every day.

I just got a large crop of snow peas from my garden. They are so sweet and delicious. Does anyone know a recipe that snow peas can be used in?

I fell off the flexitarian wagon again. Since I work three jobs, I find that I have less time to do such everyday tasks as making lunch. And there just doesn't seem to be a quick, frugal, allergy-conscious, non-microwave, vegetarian option, which is what I need. So on a particularly energy-draining day I picked up a large ham, carved big, meaty slabs out of it and made sandwiches. Haven't really looked back since then. Oh well, these increasing vegi stints must at least lower my overall meat intake.

No comments:

Post a Comment