Sunday, July 31, 2016

Get Your Game On 3

This past week was Get Your Game On. Our special Wednesday visitor was someone from "X Movement", an Australian based sports-themed session. We imitated Australian animals such as the kangaroo, platypus, and crocodile, merging into our next game, "Crocodile's Treasure" where we had to sneak up and steal a volley ball from him. It was similar to "red light green light" if you consider the times that the crocodile was awake to be "red light" and the times it was asleep to be "green light" and the crocodile's treasure was the finish line.

We learned to play "Netball" a sport similar to Basketball but without the net. We learned to pitch in Cricket. Steps included "Grip, hip, step, point, rock, roll".

One time he said "Grip on" and I thought he said "Gryphon".

Guy was super charismatic, but the activities didn't include equipment we didn't already have, and we probably could have facilitated all of it. Like, the reptile show guy had reptiles, the magician had magic tricks, and the Karate guy had a blackbelt. X-Movement guy had an accent, which just doesn't come across as a special resource.

The Friday trip was bowling and swimming at the Swimplex. You can't really go wrong with a day like that, because most people love bowling, and most people love swimming, but both activities are common enough that it's a bit less special.

I had my first sick day last Wednesday, breaking my perfect attendance over the past three years. That was a bummer.

Otherwise, we had Soccer Baseball, an award's ceremony, a sports circuit, a mason jar monster craft, and I got to facilitate Mission Impossible. That's a game where participants sneak from one end of the gym to the other to steal bean bags from Program Leaders. Hiding places are set up made from mats, benches, hockey nets etc. Program Leaders shout a number of seconds when participants are allowed to move, then turn around and any participants spotted must return to the beginning point to try again. The team that has the most bean bags in the end wins. Super fun.

The school I work at is air conditioned. Don't think I've mentioned that. Two years ago, the school I worked at was not, even though it had the equipment to. Second year, they had air conditioning... except not in the gym, which is where we spent most of our time. This year, at our new location, we've got an air conditioned school with an air conditioned gym. Pretty awesome. The janitors that work here are also super cool. You'd be surprised how much influence a custodial staff has on the impact of a summer program.

The school I work at has blocked Pokemon Go. I mean, this game only started after school had been let out. It's like, someone saw me waiting on my boss to let me into the school, crouched outside, oggling a Jinx near the principle's office, ready to pounce. And this person thought "Before I let them in, I'm going to make sure they can't play Pokemon Go at work"

No comments:

Post a Comment