Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Evaluation Week

Well, it's over. We just finished the last day of the Evaluation Week. During this time we wrote an article for the Extend-a-Family newsletter, we sorted through photos and selected a top 50 to be used in promotional material, we overviewed the year and offered suggestions on potential changes, we did peer evaluations, had performance evaluations done, and wrote personal reflections on the year.

I have to go in tomorrow though, with one other person from the team. I took a day off, and if you miss a day you have to make up for it by spending a day doing chores in the office. I don't really mind. I've never done it before, so I'm excited. I get to move stuff, weed the garden, do filing, and do Ball Hockey flyers. If I finish early, I get to work at WALES for the rest of the day!

Got a free lunch yesterday from a Chinese restaurant called Cameron Seafood. Same place we've ordered from the past two years. Remember how I said that luck had been against me, but had turned in my favour for the summer? Well, looks like my charm's warn off. At the beginning of the year, I went to this Chinese restaurant, and these small children offered me a seat and menu. Thought I might do a full financial transaction from them, but then their mom showed up. At the end of the meal, the kids gave me and the person I was with fortune cookies. Then the mother gave us cookies with our cheque. Then she gave both of us two more.

My fortunes read "Your finances will change for the better"   "You will make an advance in your career", "You can conquer all obstacles", "People envy you". Usually I don't like it when fortune cookies compliment you since they're supposed to be fortune cookies, not compliment cookies, but considering the placement of that last fortune, I was okay with it.

With Cameron Seafood, my initial fortune said "Avoid scattering your energies". That's not even a compliment, that's a criticism! Then I got to take home some leftovers, there was another cookie and it said "Kind acts are rewarded". The cookies are like "Concentrate and be nicer".

I baked bread for the team, which I've done the previous two years on the last day. This year the batch came out better than last, I think. Last year, it didn't rise as much as I would have liked. It took a long time to bake, since the hot water is busted in my unit, so I had to boil water and wait for it to cool enough to be warm. Then I found out I'm missing two of my six bread pans, so I had to do two batches instead of one.

I just found out my hot water's busted yesterday. Apparently there was a flood and I wasn't around for it. Like, a serious-business one which caused someone's ceiling to cave in. There's no water damage in my unit, but maybe the hot water malfunctioning lines up with this event.

I was talking to a woman at the bus stop, and she said "That was the worst flood I've seen in this area in the 31 years I've lived here. Of course, there was one some years back that caught a five year old kid in the undertow, dragged him out and drowned him."

I'm just like, "Is this reality?" I've got a host of fears now that I would never have considered otherwise. My complex doesn't feel like a dangerous flood zone.

Also, apparently when somebody was trying to get my landlord to fix some flood damage, my landlord strangled him. I was around to see the police get involved, but came in after the incidence took place.

Yup... My charmed summer is over. I'm half-afraid I'm going to get strangled when I notify someone about my hot water problem now.

Today, my supervisor gave out some "Most likely to" awards. I got "Most likely to become a best-selling author based on stories from his own life".

I dropped some of my better Malian stories. Ones better than I could say on this blog. So that's where that comes from.

Also got a little stand-up glass frame with a photo on either side. One has a picture of us in our original team photo, which says "2016 Extend-a-Family Summer Program" and on the other side it's us after Reverse Paintball, and it says "Through Thick & Thin, Messy & Clean, Together You're Strong, as an Incredible Team". So frickin' cute. I've got one similar from my first year, where the team is doing a pyramid pose, and on the other side I'm getting painted in Reverse Paintball.

Hey, you know that Tree Face  painting I showed in my last update? I realized it looks way too much like a variant of the classic "Troll Face", which is used by someone pestering someone else. Even the name sounds like a variant.

Check it,







Noooooo, he looks like a South American troll face that's suffered a stroke! And I was so proud of Tree Face too! I put the painting up over my router and wanted to change the domain name to Tree Face, but I'm letting my neighbours use my Wifi, and I don't feel like explaining why I'd make that change.

No comments:

Post a Comment