Sunday, October 16, 2016

Coffee Filter Baskets and Coffee Basket Filters

I've lost the coffee filter basket for my coffee maker. That's the plastic bit that holds the coffee filter. It's different from a coffee basket filter, which is the filter that goes into the basket. Plenty of people sell coffee basket filters, but no one seems to sell coffee filter baskets. I accidentally bought a reusable filter because of the similarity in name. The only place online I've found that sells coffee filter baskets is Mr. Coffee. You can get this part directly through their site, or over ebay. But the part is $3, and they charge $15 shipping and handling. I mean, I can afford the part, but I could buy a whole new coffee maker for that price. My pride won't allow me to buy a part that's transportation fee is five times its value. But I also can't bring myself to buy a whole new machine for a piece of plastic when I've got a perfectly fine machine otherwise.

So in the meanwhile I've bought one of those single-serve coffee things. You put the grinds in and pour boiling water over the top. It's as fast as instant coffee, but it's made from legit grounds. So long as I'm living alone and not entertaining, this is a decent substitute.

I've started advertising for a new roommate a couple days ago. First night, and I get four responses. I've got one view set up next week.

Here, you can take a look at my advertisement. Bump up my views:

 http://www.kijiji.ca/v-room-rental-roommate/kitchener-waterloo/looking-for-roommate/1208020922

 I started using the bread maker my neighbour gave to me. This thing must be ancient. It's instructions are on a VHS tape, which means it must have been constructed from before DVD technology was introduced. That means it must be over 20 years old! But I'm pretty sure no one has ever used it. It sounds like it kept changing hands between people who liked the idea, but never used it and eventually realized they were never going to. Until it reached me. Just finished my third batch tonight.

From one perspective, it takes four hours to bake one loaf of bread, while I can bake six loaves in half that time by hand. From another perspective, it takes a degree of attnetiveness across several hours to bake a batch by hand, while with the maker, I can literally just put the ingredients in and forget about it. It does all the mixing, kneading, baking, it decides the necessary temperature and amount of time, and it even turns itself off after it's done. You can set a loaf to bake, go to sleep and wake up to the smell of fresh baked bread.
 It's pretty cool.

I think in the past, I've mentioned that Kitchener has the largest Oktoberfest celebration in Canada, and second largest in the world. This year, Justin Trudeau came to do the honours at our Tapping of the Keg. I had forgotten that it was Oktoberfest, and I hadn't heard Justin Trudeau was going to be there until day-of. By some quirk of fate, I happened to be in the area he would show up, around when he would show up, when I heard about it. So I dropped by and got to see J.T. Not a great view, I kind of had to squat to see him, and I had to leave to catch a bus for a work shift before he tapped the keg, but at least I got to snap a pic of the crowd where I saw him before leaving for work. Second time I've seen Trudeau in person (first time was at Conestoga, where he did a speach before he was elected).

No comments:

Post a Comment