Sunday, November 13, 2016

RIP Moss

So today my family in Guelph's pet rabbit, Moss, passed away. He was quite an elderly rabbit, I remember adopting him from a friend when I was in Grade Eleven, which was eleven years ago. At that time he was already several years old and since dwarf rabbits have an average lifespan of 7-10 years, so he showed a strong amount of longevity

I was the one who named him Moss. I'm not very good at giving names. We have a cat named Blackavar, which was my favourite rabbit in the book Watership Down. So we had a cat named after a rabbit, and a rabbit named after a plant because of me.

But his name was also Watership Down based, as most of the rabbits were named after plants (Hazel, Blackberry, Dandelion, Buckthorn, Strawberry, Bluebell etc.) Because his origins were a bit rough, I named him Moss because he was able to grow and develop as a fine rabbit despite the craggy, hard, inhospitable circumstances on which he was born.

(Also because I had a rabbit themed online roleplay character named Moss. Nothing too weird, I swear, but I've put that behind me so don't bring it up. Same naming criteria for the character, though)

Moss didn't live in a cage. For some reason, he enjoyed his little section of boxes and carpet to the point he refused to explore further. So we didn't have to worry about him chewing on electrical cords unless they fell on his turf. He even had a kitty liter box on his territory, where he would defecate. He was a free and organized rabbit.

The cats never bothered him. Of note, he had one cat friend who would share his treats with him fairly. He loved broccoli more than anything else, and Luna, his cat companion, would sit side-by-side with him and the two would share their broccoli. Luna also played with him, rolling on her back and batting at him. When she walked on his territory, Moss would bounce up to her and tuck his face in her fur.

In the end, his passing was gracious. I wasn't there, but the night before he passed, he apparently suffered what appear to be a stroke. He wasn't able to stand up and his eyes were clouded over. He accepted liquid food as a dropper from a syringe, administered by my brother.

One of our cats, Thor, apparently lay beside him until the moment of his passing.

Tonight is the night of the Supermoon, a full moon that is brighter and larger than any other for the past sixty years. In some of Eastern Asia, including Japan, China, and Korea, as well as the ancient Aztec civilization, they see what we interpret as the Man in the Moon, formed by shadows created by craters, as the image of a rabbit.

I might be reaching, since Moss wasn't Japanese, Chinese, Korean, or Aztec, but the brightest symbol in the past sixty years representing a rabbit shines on the night of his passing. Let me feel this is significant. who I woul,

Let me hit you with this. The Chinese moon-rabbit is grinding the elixir for eternal life. Let me think this represents Moss's longevity, and the reminder that this event is not a symbol of an end, but a celebration of life and new beginnings.

By the by, I can't help but take notice in regard to my readers from the United States, that you have elected Donald Trump as your president. It's not much my business, since I'm from a separate nation, but because of our geographic proximity and trade agreements, I can't help but feel this choice in leadership will impact us as well.

Since I'm not all that politically savvy, I trust in you voters as having perceived some stronger qualities within President Elect Trump than I have. After all, I've only known Trump as a guy who ran a reality TV Show, where he tried to trademark the common phrase "You're fired". When he tried to build a golf course on marked Scotland soil. When he was attacked by a bald eagle, representing everything virtuous about the United States.

Hope the decisions of our neighbors leave us well enough alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment