Monday, July 10, 2017

Tooth fairy, fidget spinners, new staff and roommate

Being the tooth fairy is really intimidating, I don't know who  came up with it. Since I'm the night shift worker, it usually falls on me to fill this role. It's one of those things you don't think about until you have to do it, but it's more complicated than you would assume. Not only do you have to plant the money under the kid's head without waking them up, but you have to search for the tooth as well. Absolutely no way that if someone came into my room while I'm asleep and started putting their hands under my pillow, that I would sleep through it. And depending on how clean the kid's room is, and where they are sleeping, the place can be an obstacle course. And worst of all is, what happens if you do get caught? The kid wakes up and asks you why you're in their room. I've spent a lot of time perched outside kids rooms, developing strategies to bypass clutter, and coming up with excuses for why I'm creeping around in their room at night. The whole things is just a bad scene.

You know what the most recent craze is with the kids? Fidget spinners. They're these hand-sized disks, usually with four more disks branching off from the centre, and you spin them. That's all there is to them. I finally got to spin one, and it was like, "So this is what you kids are getting up to these days". When I was a kid, yo-yos came back into trend during a time when technology was on the rise, and that was strange enough. But at least with a yo-yo, there are a variety of tricks you can do (although when I was a kid, they were developing "automatic yo-yos" which even I thought was lame and got so common I had a hard time finding a non-auto.) With these spinners, there's not much to do. Spin them between your fingers, balance one on your finger while it's spinning, put one on the table while it's spinning, wave it up and down while it's spinning to feel the "forces" of the air pressure, buy multiple spinners to compare their weight. Absolutely everywhere sells them now. You can get them glow in the dark and there are ones that make sound effects. They cost $10-$15. I'm failing to see the hype.

I had ADHD growing up, so people would give me little toys like this to play with to occupy my hands while I was trying to concentrate. But kids these days don't just use them to expend excess energy while trying to focus on something else. They will actually spin as a primary mode of entertainment, which to me seems odd in a world developing virtual realities. I've seen "fidget cubes" as well, which are little boxes with dials, switches and buttons that don't do anything, and "fidget flippers" which I don't know much about, but I imagine they flip.

I renewed my credit card recently.You know that three-number code that comes on the back of them? New credit card's is 666. Don't trust that at all.

A neighbour of mine's car broke down and had to borrow a friend's vehicle that was on vacation. During this time, he needed a place to keep his vehicle and a place to keep the vehicle he was borrowing, so he asked me if he could use my parking space. Obviously, I do nothing with my space so I agreed with it. Good old neighbour bought me a bottle of whisky to thank me for it. Actually asked around to see what I drink. Just a sweet, neighbourly gesture.

Since summer vacation started, we have had to hire new staff to cover the time that school used to occupy. Previously, some school staff would come in the morning, help with breakfast and hygiene routines, take them to school and continue from there. But they weren't actually residential workers, so now they're doing whatever school staff do during the summer, and we've had to bring on new residential workers to work a 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM shift. Since my shift ends at 9:00 AM, that means I've been asked to take on a mentoring role, and some tasks such as administering medication have been left to me, since I'm now "Senior staff".

When I first came into my position, I had a nightly sheet to fill as the "Senior night staff" but because there's only one of us, I got to be a senior on my first night. However, with these new staff members, it's the first time I get to have experience over someone else. Living it up.

I got a new roommate. I was considering holding off until September when a buddy of mine would be looking, or there was a guy looking for a roommate in the Bread and Roses next month, which is a spot I've had my eye on. But since then, a neighbour of mine for over a year, who was subletting from a guy whose luck turned south, found himself in need of a room, and so I took him on.

It's only been a couple of days, but he's gotten rid of our cockroach problem, which I'm thoroughly grateful for. I try to keep the place clean over here, but the upper and lower units are connected, and a roach problem has been spreading throughout the complex. We used to have an ant problem, and fixed it, although I must say I prefer ants over roaches. As far as pests go, at least ants are clever and industrious, and mice are cute. Roaches are losers who stumble over each other like they're drunk and live on the corpses of their kin.

I told my new roommate "They can survive their head being cut off for a week, for every one you see, there's seven you don't, they're predicted to survive a nuclear war, the sooner you accept their status as the dominant species in this home, the easier it will be for you". But he beat them. We're the first unit in the complex to beat the roaches!

I swear, these exterminators aren't doing much. We had exterminators come in twice for ants, insisting that poison wouldn't work on them abd only traps would. Then they'd leave and I never saw an ant trap. Then my old roommate put down some Ant-B-Gone and too them all out. My upstairs neighbour has had exterminators come in for roaches but has seen no progress. Then my roommate puts down some poison and voila. Extermination must be one of those fields filled by people who don't really do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment