Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sickness, Exercise, Board Game

I've been sick the past few days. Started with stomach cramps, turned into digestive issues. Cramps subsided, still had difficulty digesting. Low fever developed. Was blinking in and out of consciousness for almost three days. Day and night didn't mean much to me. Had to cancel two work shifts and skip a lecture. One of the people I work with was unavailable, so you can look at it as either me being fortunate in not having to cancel on another person, or me missing out on a day off.

It's Kind of like what I had at Christmas, but at least the most painful symptoms came one after the other instead of all at once, for some reason. Kind of annoyed that the same thing happened to me twice in under three months,

My roommate got it too, right after I got better. If everyone's going to get it, it's better to rotate the illness than to have it all at once, since it leaves at least one able-bodied person to go out and fetch supplies.

Fever dreams are always quite entertaining. This time, I had a dream that one of the pet cats in Guelph passed away, but she came back to life as a bag of shredded carrot. In my dream, my mother described seeing her attempting to possess the bag of shredded carrot, and encouraging her by calling "Come here little one! It's okay honey!" So this bag of shredded carrot actually came to life and would meow, purr and curl up on your lap. I vividly remember that this specific bag of shredded carrot was inspired by one that is currently in my fridge. In my dream, I remember saying that I was grateful that she came back to us, but wasn't it strange that she could live without a brain and make sounds without vocal chords.

There was a certain time when I was sick, when the cramps and the fever were gone and I had regained my energy, but I still had the digestive issues and needed to be near a bathroom at all times. That issue did not seem to be subsiding at all, and it made me wonder if this was just something I'd have to live with from here on out. I got better in one fell swoop the next day, though.

Today I managed to leave the house for the first time since the illness set in. Tomorrow, I will go back to work. I don't know if I'm back 100% though. All I had appetite for today were some crispers, and I keep sweating, even in the cold. I feel great though.

My roommate is a former body builder and is the type that exercises for enjoyment. The type that feels stress and needs to "work it out". I can't empathize. When I feel stressed, I want to eat and sleep. Exercise feels boring, repetitive, painful, and time consuming. But I'm trying to turn my mind around. He dug out a track through the snow in our backyard through the community area to the fence that separates us from the creek. At first I didn't think it would be very strenuous, because the track isn't very long, but it poses a unique challenge. When running on a track or on a treadmill, you usually start strong and then run until you meet your stride. With this thing, you sprint to the fence, skid to a stop, sprint back to the yard, skid to a stop and sprint back. Plus half of it is downhill, so every time you hit the fence, you sprint back uphill.

I've used it three times.  First time I did so covertly under the dead of night, because I wanted to find out how out of shape I was privately. I overdid it, wound up hacking and coughing so bad it lasted better part of a day and I pretended I was sick to everyone else so I didn't have to explain that I was still gasping for breath 12 hours after having done the run.

My roommate does that run while punching the air, holding weights, wearing a weighted vest, and wearing a gas mask that prevents part of his oxygen flow to simulate being on a mountain. And he does it for fun.

My brother was in a Sailor Moon board game commercial. He's Sailor Mercury, and he got 2nd place in the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfB0L3r26k&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment