Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Social Psych Test, Old Night Shift Job

Did a Social Psychology test today. Last one was particularly difficult and I had no confidence in it, but I still passed. This time around, I thought I did pretty well on the multiple choice but thought I may have been off-base on the short answer. Oh well, last time I wasn't confident in either section and I did alright. This time I had confidence in one section, so we'll see how I did.

On the bus to school, someone got on at the stop passing the grouphome where I used to work. He was nearly screaming on his cell phone, "They won't take me off nights, apparently no one wants to do it so they never let night shift change shift! I want to work with the kids! Everyone blames night shift for everything! They pay peanuts!"

After he finished his call, I asked him if he worked where I thought he did, and I was right. It was really gratifying to hear so many of the complaints that I had about the position echoed by someone else.

Apparently there was a mass firing, and most of my old coworkers and my former boss lost their jobs. I don't know anything about it, but I assume they all have criminal records now. Kind of glad I wasn't around for it. Not because I ever did anything to warrant a firing or criminal record, but just because.... you don't want to be too close to that.

I told him that I worked there for six months, and it had been about eight months since having left the position. Weird to think that my time away from the organization  has been longer than my time in it. Feels like yesterday I was going in to work there.

I'm still in touch with one of the morning shifters, and apparently no one has lasted as a night shifter since I left.

They recently upgraded the buses around here as a response to that series of near-strikes the bus drivers threatened awhile back. So far, this includes a new system where bus transfers are issued from within a mechanism after you have paid cash. These new transfers include a bar code which can be scanned by bus patrons on entering their connecting ride. This eliminates the responsibility of the bus driver to check each transfer to make sure they are boarding within the allowable time of the transfer, as the transfer deactivates as soon as the allotted time ends. It also means that, if a bus patron attempts to under-pay, the system will not produce a transfer. This takes away some of the accountability that bus drivers have in deciding whether or not to let people who underpay board.

It doesn't eliminate all awkwardness though. I've still seen people beg to be allowed to board, and have seen bus drivers concede so as to avoid a fight. The only difference is that the driver no longer has the option to count the rider as a passenger in their system. The new transfer system is also much slower than the old system of ripping off a bit of paper and handing it to a rider, so it has put all the bus schedules back a bit.  I've seen a few buses have plexiglass shields for their drivers as well.

Have you guys heard of the Universal Law of Urination? This is the concept that all mammals, regardless of size, urinate for approximately 21 seconds! So an elephant, a house cat, and a human would all need approximately 21 seconds to urinate. At first, I thought there was no way that I last that long (ha), but decided I would put it to the test. And to my surprise, I was exactly 21 seconds! Next time you go to the bathroom, make sure to count, and see if you match up to the Universal Law of Urination!

No comments:

Post a Comment