Sunday, September 15, 2019

Harvest Moon Friday the 13th

This past week we had Friday the 13th falling on a full moon night, a phenomenon that occurs about once per twenty years. I don't like to admit it, but I'm a bit superstitious and like to lay low when either of those events occur. When they pair up like that, you know I'll be playing it safe. Unfortunately, I'm an adult and I have a job, and my girlfriend is visiting that day. Can't skip either of those.

Specifically, the full moon was the official annual Harvest Moon, which was once valued by agriculturalists that relied on the moon's light to work into the night during the harvest season. People tend to call any large and yellow moon a harvest moon, but turns out, there is only one that is officially named so per year.

Anyway, work was fine. No strange hiccups. Got home, met my girl. I'd been playing up the romantic connection between my life and sunflowers, and the significance of the fact that, despite my best efforts, I had been unable to grow any over the past three years, but that, after meeting her, they had finally started developing.

Well, guess what happened?



First blossom happens on Friday the 13th, on the day she visits! What a stroke of luck!

That day, I also decided to buy a mattress. I had been using the same twin-sized mattress I'd been using since student housing, which I'd adopted from a previous owner. No idea how many people had used it previous to me, or what had been done on it. Time for an upgrade.

Transportation is always an issue, since I don't drive and neither do most of my friends. I found a vacuum-sealed mattress in a box with wheels. Felt like something custom-made for me. Like, how do we make a large mattress that can be transported long distance on foot.

When we were walking home, a storm broke out, but luckily we were near somewhere we could take shelter. When we felt we could chance it, we headed back. Luckily, it only started to rain again once we got into my townhouse complex. The handle on the box broke off when we got to my front door, and the wheels fell off as soon as I lifted it in. The box lasted exactly as long as it needed to. Lucky us.

The mattress I got was queen-sized and the type of sunflower that blossomed was Lemon Queen. Day of Queens. Best Friday the 13th ever!

My new mattress is made of foam, but it's like, part memory foam, part firm foam, and part hard foam, or something like that. Guarantee you my old mattress was only one layer of like, ancient foam. I wound going for the queen size, not so much for width but because the double was 75 inches long, which is 6'3" and my height. The queen is 80 inches in length, which is 6'8", and I'd like my mattress to be longer than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment