Monday, August 31, 2020

Eggs, Sunflower, Cat

Lee-Anne was visiting this past weekend and stayed until Monday morning. Since we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like, we made sure to celebrate each day with a hearty breakfast. But this most important meal wound up being more indulgent than either of us anticipated:  




I bought a dozen eggs, and as you can see, each one had two yolks. I've never encountered this before. I wonder if certain chickens are just prone to laying double-yolk eggs; and from there, I wonder if one specific chicken lays a full carton of eggs.

You can see from the first two pictures that of the eight yolks, I broke one each time. It was the left-hand egg with the yolk on the bottom that broke both times too, so I wonder if that says something about how I crack my eggs. I finally got it on the third time, though. Eight unbroken fried yolks in four egg whites. I feel strong.

A few weeks ago, we visited the Kitchener farmer's market. Despite having lived in a sublet near it for five months after college, I'd never actually been. It was the closest I've been to being in a crowd since the pandemic. They had directional arrows on the floors and everyone was wearing masks. We bought bell peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini for kabobs. It was weird being in a place that only accepts cash, since most places have been phasing it out. Since the pandemic, I've transitioned to unlimited debit transactions, because it requires the least amount of physical contact. Another weird spot that still requires cash is all my local laundry options.

I managed to bloom a sunflower this year:


It's small, but still a sunflower! I didn't think I'd get any this year, since insects were really harsh and a number of them died in windstorms, but this one made it! Another one survived, but I'm still waiting on it to blossom.

This year, I got a handful of Thai Dragon peppers, which felt really nice because I've never managed to grow a pepper plant that produced before. The Ghost Pepper plant died early on, and the habenero survived but didn't produce. I got regular cherry tomatoes, but the regular sized ones are still unripe and I have little hope for them. The radishes grew very well, but didn't look like radishes, which is puzzling because I'm sure I understood the package when I planted them. When I went to the grocery store, I tried to identify a vegetable that looked like my radishes, and the closest resemblance was Swiss chard. Nor idea what I should do with that veggie, though. I had a number of developing cucumber, but looks like some critter ate all of them. My celery is healthy enough and I should harvest it, and the beans never grew in place of the peas All in all, I didn't overcrowd the garden and most things were healthy. I was glad about the peppers, but otherwise, kind of a weak crop.


I'm leash-training my cat Kieran. The first time I brought him out, I'd bought a leash that fastened around the midsection but not the neck. So one time, when he got surpised, he jumped backward and out of his harness. Since then, I've got one with two buckles.

Apparently some cats fall flat on their sides like a statue when you attach their harness, because of a self-defense mechanism in the event that they are attacked. Kieran only fought the harness until it was on him, and then he didn't care. We opened the back door of the apartment, and he did not struggle with the idea that going outdoors was taboo, and just trotted out.

He shuffled around sniffing leaves for the most part, but he tried to climb a chain-link fence twice and then a tree to get at a squirrel. Good thing the leash held firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment