Sunday, December 13, 2020

New Furniture, Bad Formatting

Alright, this post may be painful to read, because Blogger has just updated its formatting system and based on my experience with the Gryphood blog, I haven't found my stride with it. Linebreaks and indenting don't seem to work now, so everything is kind of just merged into a giant wall of text. Hopefully I can get things figured out, but for now, it's pretty ugly. Recently, me and Lee-Anne bought some furniture. This is the first time in my life that I've bought something that I couldn't carry home with me. Back in college and even after I moved into the townhouse, I bragged that I didn't own anything I couldn't carry on my back. Eventually I did own furniture, but only because of a combination of roommates buying it, or me taking it from people moving or being evicted. Even the mattress that I posted about some time ago, I got from Walmart because the box came on wheels and I could wheel it home by foot. The heaviest thing I ever bought and walked home was a desser. The new items we bought were a couch and two desks. Generally speaking, I'm pretty chill with my cat Kieran scratching whatever he feels like. But now that I've spent real money on some stuff I'm like "Hey... you have a scratching post". I'm using some of the money I recently inherited, which I've mentioned in a recent blog post, on furniture. It's my first investment since inheriting it. I'm relieved to say that I still don't like spending money. Long ago, I learned of something called the "financial comfort zone" which I've been kind of obsessed with and terrified by ever since. This idea is that, despite the fact that everyone strives for greater wealth, on a subconscious level, we desire to maintain what we perceive as "financially normal". This is the phenomenon of the homeless man winning the lottery and being homeless again the next year. We might convince ourselves that we're indulging, and that we are treating ourselves, but on some level we are uncomfortable with being put into a different financial state, and we're attempting to return to what we're used to. We got the new couch from a fancy rich person store called IKEA. I am especially proud because I've seen many memes saying that the true test of a relationship is assembing IKEA furniture. Our main struggle was that the couch we bought came in four separate pieces, and the instructions provided detailed how to put each piece together individually, but not how to connect them. We managed to get through the hardship, and look at our reward:
And check out my desk:
As you can see, I'm still using a dining room chair. One day I will have an office chair. We've been trying to prepare for Christmas, but it appears that the 2020 trend of panic buyng is just a way of life now. We have an artificial Christmas tree because it was donated to an old roommate who left it behind when he moved out, but getting decorations for it has proven to be a bit tougher. In previous years, I've been satisfied with a red star-shaped tree topper and some blue tinsel from Dollarama, but Lee-Anne has preferred a slightly more detailed tree. At any rate, it doesn't amount to much more than a giant cat toy:
We went to Home Depot, and we went to Walmart, and all the Christmas decorations were sold out. Also, they haven't been able to stock up on workout equipment either. A little random, but this will make it a little more difficult to work off the extra pounds you take on this holiday season. Our housemates are still missing. It's been a little over half a month since we noticed they haven't been here. A little spooky, but here's hoping they turn up soon

No comments:

Post a Comment