Sunday, October 31, 2021

Halloween 2021

This was my first Halloween spent at the new place. It's also the last landmark date to experience for a first time here, since tomorrow marks a full year since we moved in. There was an overlap month and we moved in slowly, but November 1st was the day we got our keys.

So since we missed Halloween last year by a day, we had no idea how many trick-or-treaters to expect. We live in a basement apartment, so it wasn't likely that people would come in and knock n our door, but I went outside with a bowl full of tootsie rolls, tootsie pops, and airheads that I bought last minute from a local drug store, and waited.

Our upstairs neighbours have young children, so they went trick-or-treating. They left me with their candy dish, so I got to give out candy for both our units. We ended up getting 19 kids, which I'm going to call a success. The last place I lived had a lot of children that lived in the neighbourhood, but they would typically go elsewhere to trick-or-treat. I'd have to catch them as they were leaving or coming back, and I would actually visit families I knew to try and dump candy on them. Pretty much reverse trick-or-treating.

Lee-Anne's not in love with Halloween, largely because her birthday is only a few days before it. We celebrated that by going out for sushi. We went to a place near where I sublet for five months after just having graduated, and my personal favourite spot for sushi in the KW area. I got to use my vaccine passport for the first time. You still have the option of showing your receipt and a piece of ID, but now you can pretty easily get a QR code version, which is what I did. They just looked at it, though. I don't know where they would have the equipment to scan it.

I was happy to feel well enough at that time to go out for sushi. A couple weeks ago, Lee-Anne got sick. Fever, chills, aches. She had to get a COVID test and take several days off work. We had to quarantine, and we realized that we've grown lax in terms of supply shopping. She tested negative, which was a relief. Then I got sick and was down for about three days. First time I've been sick since COVID started. But it had been several days without symptoms before going for sushi.

Finn has been getting along well here:






No comments:

Post a Comment