Thursday, December 23, 2021

MESH Self-Assessment 2021

Back in 2019 I made a post about an Emotional Intelligence assessment I did for work, called MESHdiversity. I was given a series of scenarios with examples of four potential reactions to each. I then ranked each reaction from how I would most likely react to least likely for every situation. The data I gave was then analyzed and my emotional intelligence was ranked on a scale of 1 to 10 in 36 different categories.

They then got me to find a minimum of three people and have them do the survey based on how they thought I would react. Their data was compiled and combined, and I was given the 36 rankings based on how other people perceive me. This way, you can see if your self-perception matches the perceptions of others.

So we did it again this year. I answered the questions for myself and for four other people, and got four people to rank me as well. Two of them were the same people that did my surveys in 2019, and two of them were different.

I don't have my 2021 assessment from others yet, but I do have my self-assessment. What's cool about this is that, since I've still got my results from 2019, I can compare how my self-perception has changed over the past two years. I'll include the results where changes occurred.

So my overall self-esteem has increased 4%, with my combined results over the 36 categories having gone up by this much.

My Emotional Awareness went from a 10 to a 9. Decreased one point. This is the ability to understand the origins of our emotions, which helps us to mediate our feelings and in turn, manage our behaviour. Was one of my best qualities, which has changed but it's still an area of strength.

My Growth Focus went from a 6 to a 5. Decreased one point. This is the ability to seek help or support from others. Apparently I used to be bad for this and now I'm even worse. I should maybe note here that MESH doesn't let you rank lower than a 5, so I could actually be even worse.

My Receptivity went from a 9 to a 6. Decreased 3 points. This is the ability to take constructive feedback and implement it for positive change. This went all the way from a strength to a weakness.

My Motivation Style went from an 8 to a 10. Increased two points. This is the ambition to do well without the motivator of extrinsic reward, like praise from others, bonuses or benefits. I'm more genuine and self-motivated now, taking more pride in my work based on its quality and how it makes me feel.

My Ambition went from an 8 to a 9. Increased one point. This is the desire to improve oneself based on internal development, such as keeping track of personal progress (kind of like what I'm doing here) and external markers, such as increases in job status.

My Composure went from 10 to 8. Decreased two points. This is the ability to be calm and composed in high-pressure situations that may be stressful and dangerous. This is still a strength of mine, but less so.

My Agency went from 7 to 9. Increased two points. This is the ability to learn from mistakes, to turn failures into opportunities for growth, to deal with and master challenging demands. This went from something I was average at, to an area of strength.

My Determination went from 8 to 9. Increased on point.  This is the ability to come up with goals and to overcome obstacles to achieve them. This was an area of strength that has become stronger.

My Versatility went from 10 to 9. Decreased one point. This is openness to change, the ability to flex and adapt under shifting circumstances. This is still an area of strength, but less so now.

My Optimism went from 5 to 7. Increased two points. This is the ability to manage uncertainty and find positivity in the face of challenging circumstances. This went from one of my weakest areas to something I'm average at.

My Intuition went from 8 to 9. Increased one point. This is the ability to combine our thoughts and emotions, tapping into our unconscious resources to come to conclusions. This was an area of strength that has increased a bit.

My Empathic Accuracy went from 8 to 5. Decreased three points. This is the ability to pick up on how other people are feeling based on facial expressions, verbal and non-verbal signals. Interesting to see that it went from a strength to one of my weakest areas.

My Compassion went from 7 to 8. Increased one point. This is the ability to show kindness to others, both in professional and personal life, to be invested in others. I was average in this area and increased it a bit to become and area of strength.

My Validation went from 10 to 9. Decreased one point. This is the ability to accept others and consider their needs without assuming a similarity to myself. This was one of my strongest qualities. It's still strong, but a little less so.

My Curiosity went from 9 to 10. Increased one point. This is the desire to learn and show genuine interest in others. It was an area of strength for me in the past and has become one of my best qualities since then.

My Collaboration went from 7 to 10. Increased three points. This is the ability to keep a positive frame of mind when confronted with conflict, to avoid polarization and to avoid win/lose thinking in favour of win/win. This went from something I was average at to one of my best qualities.

My Follow Through went from 8 to 9. Increased one point. This is the ability to "walk your talk", to balance your "can-do" and your "will-do" attitudes. The ability to do what you say you will, which earns the trust of others.  I was strong in this area and got a bit better.

My Civility went from 9 to 8. Decreased one point. This is the ability to disagree without being disagreeable. To speak in a way that encourages dialogue. This is still a strength of mine, but a little less so now.

My Openness went from 8 to 10. Increased two points. This is the ability to be respectful, accepting, and appreciative of peoples difference, to not allow implicit biases to control my perspectives of others. I was strong in this area and it has since become one of my best qualities.

My Appreciation went from 9 to 6. Decreased three points. This is the ability to recognize the good work of others. This has gone from an area of strength to a weakness.

The other 16 categories had the same rank as 2019's assessment.

This year I ranked myself highest in: Motivation Style, Curiosity, Collaboration, Openness, and Influence, all of which got a 10, the highest possible ranking.

Influence, which is the only area I got a perfect 10 in each year, is the ability to get people to shift their perspective to match mine.

I ranked myself lowest in: Growth Focus and Empathic Accuracy, both of which got a 5, the lowest possible ranking.

The biggest fluctuation between assessments was by three points, which happened for four categories. My Receptivity, Empathic Accuracy, and Appreciation all went down three points, while my collaboration went up three. So most of the large fluctuations were toward the negative, but the number of categories where I improved were more numerous, to the point that I made an overall improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment