Sunday, December 18, 2022

Premium King Suite

Me and Lee-Anne went to Guelph this weekend to spend some time with family. We stayed at a hotel, but because four hotels in Guelph closed over the pandemic, it's difficult to find a room. By the time we had made plans, there was only one left, which was a Premium King Suite, likely the most expensive room in the building. I am not accustomed to such luxuries, so let me share with you the experience


The place was more like an apartment than a room, so we had our own living area. Last time we stayed at a room at this place, it was airplane themed, with a little metal airplane model and a painting of an airplane. This one didn't have as prominent of a theme, but it did have this birch tree painting. I've found that artists love birch trees, and I'm not sure why.


Bathroom. Pretty typical.


TV on a bulging chest. 


King sized bed.


TV with a fireplace beneath it. I highly doubt the fireplace is meant to be used. We found some candles out in the hall that had their wicks removed. This place likes to give the impression that it's ready to start a fire while not actually giving guests the option of starting an open flame.


Little table in the kitchen with a print of a wine glass crossed by a bottle.


We got a full kitchen, including a full oven and refrigerator. In my experience, you usually get a microwave and a mini fridge. There were even pots and pans in case you wanted to do some home cooking. It's funny, if I was going to be doing any cooking it would likely be because I was staying for awhile and eating out was causing financial strain. If I were planning on staying for that length of time, I'd likely be staying in a cheaper room. I think the people who can usually afford to stay in this suite don't need to worry too much about being able to afford takeout. Maybe it's because they might be holding some kind of social function.

Overall it was kind of cool. Because it was sort of a rare opportunity to have access to something like this, we hosted my mother and brother and a few others in the suite for kind of a Christmas function.

It sounds a bit random but I brought home some bowls as a gift.


I mentioned in my "Old Neighbourhoods" post that I went to an annual event called the Frederick Art Walk, and that a friend of mine had a booth at it selling wood-turned bowls. I contacted him about getting a couple to give as presents. I was expecting to get two mid-sized bowls but he talked me into buying that larger one, as its what he'd get for his mother, and then the second largest was for my brother. He threw in the smallest one for free. The second smallest was mine, that I bought at the art walk.

It's a soup bowl, and I never really trusted it not to stain, but since this summer plenty of soup has moved through it and it still seems to be in good condition. After coming home with the other three bowls and finding that they fit together nicely, I realized that my bowl was sized perfectly as a set with them. I mentally wrestled for awhile about whether or not I wanted to give up my bowl and ultimately decided to do it. Now I need a new soup bowl.

Today we traveled to Toronto to visit my Oma and Granddad, and we met up with my aunt as well. This is my grandfather who has dimension. Last time I saw him he was still able to hold conversation, but at this point he does not speak for the most part. He is able to answer yes or no questions, he can repeat words when prompted, he can still read writing out loud which I confess surprised me, and he's still able to sing. We sang Felis Navidad together. On that note, he can speak as much Spanish as English.

He seemed comfortable around me. He was able to say my name when told who I was. As a group we had lunch together at the place he is living.

Then me and Lee-Anne came back to Kitchener. It was a pretty transit-heavy day. We took a bus to Toronto at 8:30, then transferred to a subway and met my Oma at 11:30. Then later we took the subway again, and between two buses got back into Kitchener, then took the light rail home.

No comments:

Post a Comment