Monday, January 9, 2023

2022 Year In Review

2022 was a very clinical year. I reconnected with my family doctor for the first time in ten years. I got my adult ADHD diagnosis and I also learned that I had type 2 diabetes. I got started on a bunch of medication and made some pretty significant lifestyle changes, especially around diet. So far it's paid off, having made significant progress by my second meeting with my family doctor.

If the theme of 2020 was COVID, and for 2021 it was adjusting to life with Lee-Anne, 2022 was about diagnoses.

Globally, the most significant event was probably Russia invading Ukraine, which happened last February and is still ongoing now, almost a year later. I tried writing a draft for this post and when I was overviewing the war, it wound up long enough to be its own update. So I'll leave this part as is for now. I might make a specific post for it later, since it's basically already written out. I know I said I wouldn't talk on this subject, but I guess I will.

Queen Elizabeth II died. I actually didn't mention this on the blog. She ruled for 70 years and died at the age of 96. She was the longest ruling British monarch.

Otherwise, apparently I'm not the only one creeped out by the new, art-producing artificial intelligence. The general term for systems built to simulate creativity is called "generative AI" and it was released to the public in 2022.

As far as favourite posts of the year, the three updates surrounding my diagnosis, "I'm Diabetic", "My Health Journey" and "Frustration With Medical Tech" felt significant. I waited three months before going public. 

Well... This blog doesn't get enough traffic to really count as "going public", but it was when I made the information publicly available. Didn't feel like I was hiding it after those posts. You kind of have to read all three of those entries to get a full sense of the chronology and my experience. I wasn't able to condense things into one update.

But if I were going to choose a favourite post based on enjoyability, I really liked the one where I talked about my genealogy results. I had a 23AndMe test done and I learned that I am 99.3% Northwestern European with my largest chunk of blood being Scandinavian. My Dutch ancestry from the Landstreet side turned out to be from what is now modern day Germany. Unfortunately, I also found out that I have 90% less Neanderthal DNA than the average modern-day human.

No comments:

Post a Comment