Monday, July 24, 2023

Clay and Glass Art Gallery

Kitchener has a place called the Clay and Glass Art Gallery. It's one the places to see if you're in town. I'd been to it once before when I was doing direct support work many years ago. Despite it being next to one of our walking routes, me and Lee-Anne had never gone together. We finally got around to it.


This is a recreation of one of the terracotta warriors from Emperor Qin's tomb in China. I'm not going to be able to give context for each of these.



This one was supposed to be ironic, as cornucopias represent abundance, but when one is filled by additional empty cornucopias, it evokes a sense of scarcity.


I think this was in the machine made section. Works done with newer technologies. I remember there were displays made with CNC machines, and there were 3D Printed works, among a few other techniques that I don't remember. 




That piece in the back was pretty mean on my mild trypophobia.



I liked these circle glass ones. I think this was in the gift shop, which was full of work by local artists. Easy to confuse with the actual museum itself.

The art gallery is right by Waterloo Park, so we went for a walk there after and I got another picture of a crane.


There's a little outdoor zoo there as well. Last year we missed their llamas, but this year they were back


And they had their donkeys and miniature horses as usual..


I'm pretty sure they had peacocks one year, but we didn't see them.

While I'm sharing pictures, I'll mention LORENTZ


That's a bad pic, but trust me it says LORENTZ. On the Iron Horse Trail, there's a train bridge that runs overhead at one point, which serves as a canvas for graffiti artists.  It gets painted over regularly, but it doesn't take long to get redecorated.

One reoccurring tag was LORENTZ. We became fans and I started a collection of his work (I'm assuming male because of the similarity with the name Lawrence).



These two are older pieces, as tragically he appears to have stopped producing almost immediately after I started keeping track of them. You can still find some of his tags in places that don't get painted over as frequently.

The good news is, I feel like he's continued working under a new tag, L8Z.




My reason for thinking this is because L8Z started appearing almost immediately after LORENTZ stopped showing up. They both start with "L" and and in "Z" and one of the first L8Z tags that I spotted had a spider web, while the last LORENTZ used one as well. Since I didn't make the connection at the time, I didn't get a pic of it. I'll be making sure to appreciate all future L8Z appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment