Friday, February 24, 2012

Preparing for the Workshop

Yesterday, I met up with one of the employment counselors who asked me to do that presentation next week. We went over a bit what I'll be covering. Nothing too strict, he just wants me to go over what my life was like before the program, and how it effected me afterwards. He wants me to go over what I've done since then, and say what some of my goals are for the future, even if they're in the process of being formed. He also suggested I can hook up their laptop and show my Africa photos over their projector. He says he hopes they'll be asking questions, but since they're new they might be a little bit reserved. He says that he and the other guy who runs the program will be there to ask questions or whatever if worst comes to worst.

Sounds good. I can also probably pitch the youth programs as some kind of alternative to school or work, since it's cost effective, gives a variety of different experiences for people who are undecided in their futures or don't want to make a serious commitment to one path at the moment, and on a resume it can count for work experience, volunteer experience, and education. It's a path that most people don't consider.

Well, in any case, I'll just try to get through it. I don't really have anything scripted, but I don't think I'm expected to.

Today I met up with the other counselor who runs that program, to talk about post-secondary opportunities. He really seems to know his stuff. He's talking about getting me interviews with people from various fields so that I can ask questions about what it's like to work in those areas. He's given me some research directions and I'm seeing him again next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment