Monday, June 17, 2013

HSF Graduation

Sorry for the blog lull guys. Here's a recap of the past almost two weeks.

I had my graduation ceremony for HSF last Wednesday. We got to wear robes and liripipes, but not caps. I think there's some kind of health concern about sharing hats. We didn't get our certificates/diplomas/degrees respectively when we walked onstage. We got them by exchanging our robes and liripipes afterward. Seems like there's been past issues with people running away with their graduation garb.

If you don't know what a liripipe is, it's kind of a sash that you wear over one of your shoulders at graduation. I never heard of the word before, and I have no idea if I'm remembering/spelling it right. Either my spellcheck doesn't know the word or I'm off-base.

The actual ceremony consisted of us taking turns going up, shaking hands with various people, and getting a liripipe put on us. Lots of people dropped their liripipes, so I was very proud when I didn't.

The ceremony was shown online. I would have tipped you guys off and maybe you could have watched it, but I had no idea that that was happening until it was announced at the ceremony.

It was a really formal ceremony, but when we were making our exit, we were played out with an orchestral take on Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. It was really slow and without lyrics, so I thought that maybe Gaga had taken a tune from a classical piece, similar to how people are always using Pachelbell's Canon.

Here's a comedian complaining about that.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

But then they got to the "Rara romara" bit and they put on this raunchy brass. Nothing but Bad Romance.

I didn't take any photos, but somebody tagged me in one. Here you go.


I had some work the following Friday. An agency was willing to bus me out to Aberfoyle to help put up a plastic dome for some festival. I thought it was going to be low paying, since they were bussing out people without cars en mass. People without cars are generally poorer and will settle for lower pay, and jobs requiring tons of people won't inspire a good wage, and since they were already paying for the bus, I didn't think they'd be in the mood to give out more than they already were. But it turned out to be $12 an hour, my best wage this year. Turns out, they were willing to bus out minimally-skilled workers en mass for a good wage because they were only taking the most physically powerful workers available.

Flattered that they thought of me, but it's a humbling experience being among your peers. I managed to keep up, but I wasn't the team strong man for once. Very gratifying work being able to physically exert yourself, and it's good to be outside in the fresh air, although I wound up getting a bit of a sunburn.

This week I got more work, this time as an order picker. I take lists of customer orders and go around filling boxes with the items listed. It's not really a factory, more of a warehouse. No machines, no need for any PPE such as hearing, hand, or eye protection. Only steel-toed boots. Got more work tomorrow and Wednesday, and it looks like this could go further.

No comments:

Post a Comment