Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Hatts Off

In posts previous, I've mentioned that there were things happening, but I couldn't comment on them at the moment, and this was contributing to my post frequency slowing down. I also said that you would hear about all the behind-the-scenes details when they came about.

So here it is. I've been accepted as a Child and Youth Worker for Hatts Off. It's a full-time gig. I'm holding onto three of my Extend-a-Family contracts and my Safe Management Instructor position, as they don't interfere with my new hours and I need to maintain my position as a Direct Support Person to stay a Safe Management Instructor. But I just had the difficult conversations with four support contracts recently that I wouldn't be able to continue supporting them.

The first half of my week-and-a-half of training, the part that took place in Hamilton, was for UMAB (Understanding and Managing Aggressive Behaviour), specific to Hatts Off.

I've had to get a Criminal Record Check, Medical Note, Immunization Record, Child Welfare check, copy of my First Aid and CPR certificate, UMAB certificate, reference sheet, void check, and have had to attend Policies and Procedures training since being offered a position.

They called me after Extend-a-Family offered the increase in hours and pay. They were one of the group homes I'd applied to before I became desperate enough to try industrial work. After EaF offered me enough to deter me from working factories, I continued for a time before getting the call from Hatts Off.

I figured I was interviewing them as much as they were interviewing me, and I hadn't guaranteed interest so there was no dishonesty in my part. But by the end of the meeting, they said "Welcome to the team" and offered their hand. I wasn't about to call their bluff, so I shook it.

Gave me an extensive list of documents needed to start things off. My Child Welfare Check was $20, my Criminal Record Check was $25, and my medical note was a whopping $100. Leaves me at a $145 loss, not including cancellation fees that I had to make to collect these documents.

It's a group home position. It's for youth, not developmentally disabled individuals, which branches away from my efforts a bit.  After my station as an Independent Facilitator and being trained to see group home positions as belonging to the "Old Story", this feels like I'm falling from grace.

But whatever. If there wasn't enough room in the New Story, I'll just have to join the old one.

No comments:

Post a Comment