Saturday, March 4, 2017

Train the Trainer Completion

Well, I am now certified to teach Safe Management. This was probably the most highly intensive training I've ever done. In First Aid training, NVCI, and the standard Safe Management, we had open book tests, and in New Story training, and Path and Map training, there really wasn't a test at all. You couldn't really fail. In Train the Trainer, there's a closed book written test, you have to do a presentation, and you need to instruct physical interventions. You need 80% or higher in all three categories. I had so many things I wanted to do when I had "free time" during this training, but I wound up spending most of it studying. After the written test, I found everyone in the hallway trading views on how they felt they did and sharing their answers. It was like being in college again. All five days are half physical interventions, so it's kind of physically taxing as well.

But I made the grade!

I basically only ate shawarma that week. I was being reimbursed for food, couldn't find a grocery, we were in Western University's Community Conference Centre where they had a cafeteria shawarma joint where I ate lunch, and then there was a place called the Barakat just off campus which was shawarma and that's where I had most dinners. Even in Oakville, the only place I could find in the neighbourhood that was open on a Sunday night was a shawarma place called Chef's Door.

I should have bled them harder for food. I had $50 per day, and I think I averaged like... $20.

It's pathetic how quickly I get attached to people. Even just after the five days, I was like "Oh no, the team is being broken up!" At least I wasn't alone in my sentimentality, as some of us traded emails and told each other we'd be in touch. I... kind of think our life paths are different enough, both in terms of career and geography, that it's not realistic to expect a follow up from either myself or the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment