Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Solar Eclipse

I MISSED THE SOLAR ECLIPSE!!!  I hadn't heard that there was going to be one until the day before, when my neighbor told me. She said that it would last all day, and that it was so dangerous that children were not legally allowed to leave the house during it. I was super hyped. I've been around for a few lunar eclipses, but not for a solar one.

Looked it up, and turns out my neighbor was exaggerating. It was only a partial eclipse with 70% coverage, and it would last about three hours, not all day. But still a pretty amazing thing, I want to see a crescent sun. Me and the neighbor that claimed to be afraid wound up waiting for it outside, and it just never came. We watched a live feed of other people seeing it, but we didn't see it ourselves.

She was like, "Maybe it missed us?" I was like "How could it miss us? It's THE FREAKING SUN!"

And everyone else I've talked to seems to have seen it. Somehow someway, the sun managed to eclipse itself over everything in the area except for me and my neighbor.

I've returned to the Summer Program two more times. First time was Thursday of Wacky Water Week, and first activity was Four Corners Dodgeball. Dodgeball is always one of those borderline games on whether or not it's inclusive. Sometimes it makes the grade, sometimes it doesn't. The Four Corners version was pretty good, though. You start with four teams, each one holding possession of one corner of the gym. Rules are simple. If you get hit, you leave your corner and join the opposing side. If a corner runs out of members, it's out. This way, there are never people in time out, and there aren't people who lose, only corners. Keeps the competitive edge without disqualifying people.

After that, we played some water games ( example: a relay race between teams to see who could fill a bucket first) , then we played some bingo, then I had lunch with them, then left.

Then yesterday, my cousin drove me out to Camp Impeesa and we visited them during the Overnight. Turned out to be movie night, with everyone watching Harry Potter, so there wasn't a ton of interaction with the participants, but I at least got to say hi, and I seemed to know everyone there. Took my cousin on a tour of the hiking trail. Got to see the Peacehaven Trail, go on the Normandale Adventure, and visit Tree Face one more time. That camp grounds feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment