Sunday, September 3, 2017

Gardening Season Nearing Close

So we're coming in on the end of gardening season. To break it down, everything I grew from seed kind of sucked.  I originally tried to grow cherry tomatoes, sunflowers, zucchinis, and snow peas. The cherry tomatoes were transplants and everything else was from seed. The sunflowers and zucchinis sprouted successfully, but then something ate them. They left the cherry tomatoes and snow peas alone though, so I guess they didn't like anything established past the sprout stage, plus snow peas. Acknowledging this pattern, I went and bought more transplants, plus planted snow peas around the perimeter of my chicken wire fence and my mesh fence. I bought summer squash and red cabbage to replace the sunflowers and zucchinis, which did well. But the summer squash and surviving zucchinis crawled into the cabbage section and cast shade on them, so I now have healthy, but perhaps smaller cabbage plants then necessary. My snow peas started off well, but they weakened in later development. Don't know why, back when I was in student housing they were my strongest crop. Just got a small crop of snow peas today, which was more than I was expecting. Right now, the summer squash and zucchinis have blossomed, but I'm worried that they will drop their flowers before they produce. That's been an issue in the past. They always grow so large and lush and healthy, but what their final product is seems so random.

The cherry tomatoes were the real takeaway. They outgrew their tomato cages, then I had to tie them to stakes and they almost outgrew those. Never had such large cherry tomato plants, and I never met anyone else that has had the same success with them, either. I'm thinking that if I'm still here next year, I should try growing crops similar to cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately, other than real tomatoes, I'm lost. They're technically fruit that grows like vegetables. They seem one-of-a-kind.

My neighbor gave me a pink rose bush. I planted it in front of my unit. I didn't know what type of plant it was at the time, or how to care for it, but I figured it was worth putting in the ground and seeing what happened. I'm not a big flower guy, but it was growing so lush and healthy, I'm telling you, I thought about picking up some red and yellow roses as well. But something uprooted them. And then someone put a book shelf on them. Unfortunate.

Do you know how good I am at barbecuing now? I'm so good, I taught someone else how to do it. That's right.

My upstairs neighbour moved away. The whole neighbourhood's changing. First my friend passes, then another neighbour is evicted, then another one moves out, then another gets kicked out, then another evicted. Sorry, that story would have had a lot more impact if I could give identifying information.

Before I started the group home job, I was under $1000 in my chequing account, under $500 in savings, and I'd placed 0ver $900 on my credit card. Now that I'm going to University, I have no debt on my credit card and am up $4000 in my chequing account. Not a bad place to leave off.

You guys gonna kill me when I say this. I tried to quit my grouphome job, but they offered me sleep shifts in response. That means all I'd do is show up, sleep, and potentially manage emergency situations. That means no more dishes, no more laundry, no more lunches. I told them I'd give it a try. Another girl that tried to quit offered to take over half the shifts, which I'm glad to hand over. Still going to be crazy when I've got four direct support contracts and teach Safe Management to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment