Friday, November 17, 2017

Halloween 2017

Little late to be posting about Halloween, but I'll post about Halloween. Last year I tried to give out candy at my unit, but of course, even though my neighborhood is largely family-based and there are lots of children, not very many people want to trick-or-treat in my area. Can't blame them. When I was a kid, I knew all the best areas to Trick-or-Treat, and those were usually the more wealthy areas. So not around here. The only benefit to Trick-or-Treating in this area is the proximity of the units. Since we're attached, stacked townhouses, you can hit four places while barely having to move. But even the fact that this neighbourhood has so many families sort of backfires, as that means a lot of people will be away from home Trick-or-Treating..

Last year I caught some kids while they were leaving the complex, and some when they were returning. I even rang on my neighbour to give her kids candy. Like reverse Trick-or-Treating.

I went crazy last year, with no perspective on how much candy I should get. I bought $40 worth of candy, enough to fill three bowls, and didn't manage to empty one. Spent the rest of the year trying to push old Halloween candy on people. This time I tried to restrain myself, but I still wound up buying $25 worth of candy. Managed to fit it all into just one bowl, although barely.

I had a bit more perspective on which candies are more popular this year based on which were the hardest to push last year. Didn't even bother with any gummies this year. I just got fruit chews, chocolates, caramel squares, and tootsie rolls.

There was some tentative idea that I would have a stand at the front of my complex and hand out candies on behalf of the neighbourhood (I think the neighbourhood just outside gets better traffic for Trick-or-Treaters) but that fell to the wayside, as I realized that I had a class on Halloween night, from 6:30-9:30, basically the prime Trick-or-Treating hours, and I even had a paper due that day. No one took it on themselves to replace me as the neighbourhoods rep, but I left my roommate with my candy bowl. He managed to hand some out.

But I still have half a bowl of candy, so if anyone wants any old Halloween candy, feel free to drop on by. We've got fruit chews, chocolates, caramel squares, and tootsie rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment