Friday, January 26, 2018

Safe Management, Water Shut Off, and Family Traditions

This past Monday and Wednesday I co-facilitated some Safe Management sessions. Because of new policies regarding training requirements, we had to swap up the slideshow from one that was more Extend-a-Family specific to a more standard Safe Management one, albeit with a few EaF touches. I wasn't really informed ahead of time, so I kind of stumbled through the slides, but my co-facilitator was at a similar disadvantage, so we had to be a little candid in our presentation style. We got through it.

Just took my first online Russian Studies test. For the test, we needed to have read Fathers and Sons, by Ivan Turgenev. 201 pages. Test was on Wednesday, finishing an hour before I had to teach Safe Management. I'd been reading the novel on the bus casually, but when I checked how much I still needed to read, I realized that I was on page 80, and so had 121 pages to go.

Did it all in one shot. Pulled an all-nighter, although I took a nap in the morning, did my test, then taught a 6 hour Safe Management session.

I was kind of off-base with my Art and Society project. Apparently I was supposed to create links with social influences rather than historical ones. Sucks to take a loss after I put so much more effort than I thought I would, but whatever. Take your licks.

After I came back from class today, I found that none of the taps in the house worked, or the toilet. Turns out, a water pipe burst, and while the city worked to fix it, they needed to shut off our water.

So I bought eight litres of drinking water and used the bathroom at our local Tim Horton's, which was in high usage due to no one having an operational toilet.

It was estimated that it would take two days to solve the issue, but they managed to get our water flowing again by 8:00 PM tonight. Mad props to those construction workers, working late during the winter and listening to all the resident's complaints when they were the ones fixing the issue, not the ones creating it.

Last Thursday, my grandparents from Toronto visited. They took us out for both lunch and dinner. Since Ive been away from Guelph as long as I have, my family get-togethers have been kind of divided between myself-brother-mother in Guelph or myself-cousin-grandparents-aunt-and-uncle in Kitchener. Me, my brother, mkoher, and grandparents used to frequently visit in Guelph, but because of my complicated schedule in Kitchener, it has been hard to bring myself into the old formula.

Had to skip Social Psychology in fact. But it was worth it. My mother, brother and Grandparent's have developed traditions since I've been gone, and so I got to finally dine at their places of preference.

We first went to Buon Gusto for lunch, where I got the chicken panini and mushroom soup, and then we went to a place called Einstein's, where I got the red pepper quasadillas. It was all good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment