Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Russian Studies

Today was my first day of class for the new semester. Starting things off with Russian Studies, which fulfills my second cultural course requirement, following East Asian Studies last semester. Class is in the Math and Computer building, for some reason, behind the Student Life Centre. Grading will be divided between class participation and discussion questions, four quizzes, a group project, a field trip report, an abstract and research question, an individual presentation, and a research project.  So, more content than any of my courses last semester, but at least it doesn't put me in the position that Intro to Sociology did, where everything was divided between two grades, and it's less test-heavy in general, with four quizzes but no midterm or final exam, and I generally do better with projects than tests, so that's nice.

Already got placed into my team for the group assignment. Got a fellow SDS student in it. I always find it funny how people in different fields interpret the interactions of people in the social work field. Last semester, probably my closest friend was an engineer. We were in a group project together, and because our group didn't have enough members, we merged with another group that was also low. After our first group meeting, he told me "So I take it you and ____ are really close". I was like, "Not at all. Today was the second time I've ever talked to her. I went to school with her sister and we did the same prep program, but in different years. Turns out the other guy did as well." He was like, "Is that why you all chose to do a project together? Because of your shared background?" I was like "Nope. Just found out about it today. I met them the same day as you, we merged groups out of convenience. You realize our entire schtick is having a set of agreed-on social dynamics, right? Our entire skillset is based on seeming more familiar to each other than we are."

I thought I was done spending money for the holiday season. I just finished buying gifts, handling traveling fees, and paying the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers their annual fee, but I forgot about text books. Spent about $175 today, which, relatively speaking isn't too bad but it still stings. Got everything used except for a comic book, which was the only required text for Art and Society, which is a Social Development Studies elective. More of a historical look at how art and media has affected social development, rather than last semester's art course, which was about personal creative application. I felt like kind of a wimp, bringing up my comic book when everyone else had stacks of text books. Even the salesperson said that of everyone she'd sold to, it looked like I would have the "most fun".

Russian studies also has some more lighthearted reading. It had three required texts, but two of the three were at least relatively cheap. One is a book of short stories, another a novel, and another a text book. I've peaked at them, and I could almost see the novel and short stories as free-time reading, they're that enjoyable.

I gotta say, one thing I liked better about college than university was the sense of solidarity. I knew all my classmates, and was invested in developing good relationships with them because I knew I would be sharing the same journey as them for two years. In university, I have yet to have anyone share more than one class than me, so it makes me less motivated to get to know my peers or instructors, because our relationship will end after a few months.

On the other hand, one thing I like about university over college is that it gives me the opportunity to learn about topics that are less applicable to my subject. In college, I would never have had the opportunity to study art, or East Asia, or Russia, since those topics are less applicable to my program. University is more customizable and based on developing a rounded skillset, rather than a specific one. Also, less judgment. In college, I was very attached to my status as a "Social Service Worker" student and its associated reputations and stigmas, whereas in University, it's more accepted that anyone can study anything.

Another thing I like about university is that everyone seems young and assumes that I am also young. Conestoga had some of the highest percentages for mature students, whereas U of W seems to be a civilization locked in time, where everyone is a certain age. The fact that I may be older seems to be an impossible concept for most students, so they will assume I am 10 years younger than I am.I get asked questions like "So what Res unit do you live in?" (I felt old to live in the Conestoga Residence at 22, now am 28) then when I say I don't live in the Res, they say "So you still live at home?" This took me aback the first time I heard it, I was like "What do you mean? No, I'm not homeless" before I realized that the question meant "So you still live with your parents?". Typical for people who still view their home as primarily their parents home.

When I'm asked these questions, I rub my bald head and pat my swelling paunch and wonder what these kids are thinking.

It's time to relive my life and make all the same mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment