Thursday, April 5, 2018

Ice Cream and Chocolate

I finished my Social Psychology test, now I just have to wait on my final grade. If I pass the test, I pass the course, and if I don't... there's not a huge margin for error.

Got 93% on my Russian Studies presentation. Just have to write an essay now, and I'm done the school year.

Way back in Canada World Youth, during my rotation in Quebec, one time me and my counterpart, as well as another pair of counterparts and our Project Leader, went out to Quebec City. We went to some icecream place. I wasn't fluent, and when the server asked me a question I didn't understand about a topping I said "non" to eliminate further conversation and minimize the language barrier.

On the other side, everyone in my team is eating chocolate-coated icecream. I note this, and my Project Leader says, "Of course, we're at the House of Chocolate, Chocolate Favoris"

I'm like, "So I came to the House of Chocolate, the server asked me what what kind of chocolate I wanted, and I said NON?!"

During our initial cultural sensitivity training, we had a practice where we were asked to step back from a difficult situation and ask, "Will I be angry in five hours? Five weeks? Five months? Five years? So is it really worth being angry about?"

Telling people about that practice, I offer the example of Chocolate Favoris, and I say "It has been five hours, weeks, months, and years, and I am still mad I didn't get that chocolate covered ice cream!"

When I was carpooling with my coworker to my Train the Trainer recertification, at one point, my coworker screams. I ask what that's about and she's like, "This ice cream parlor is opening up! It's like Dairy Queen on steroids! They have like a million options for chocolate dips!"

I say "That's a bit of an extreme reaction for ice cream. It reminds me of this story where I..."

She says "I finally won't have to go to Quebec City for it!"

"WHAT?! What is the name of this place?!"

"Chocolate Favoris"

I screamed.

They are opening a location in Guelph of all places, and now me and my coworker are going to go there on opening day.

This will be so cathartic.

No comments:

Post a Comment