Wednesday, April 25, 2018

UMAB Recert

Recently got recertified with UMAB (Understanding and Managing Aggressive Behaviour), which is the training we got at my old group home job. I mentioned before that several long standing employees as well as my old supervisor were fired. Now an old friend of mine is running the house, and she has reached out to me to be more active as a relief staff.

The training was at the Cambridge location, which was much more convenient than the one in London Ontario, which required me to stay in Guelph, and then spend five hours on a Go bus and then five hours back. Regular city transit still had me riding for about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the Cambridge location, although I got a ride back.

I was surprised that I knew four people at the training. They kept talking about stuff that had happened during the time I worked there, even though I'd worked there for six months and had been gone for eight. I felt like I hadn't missed a beat.

Because my last shift was over six months ago, that means I have to redo my file. That means, in addition to the training, I have to get a medical examination done, I have to get a criminal record check, and I have to get some youth-specific criminal record check. I might even have to get someone to read the manual to me with all the regulations. It's a big drag. Last time I went, the medical examination was $100, the criminal record check was $30, and the youth-specific one was maybe $15. So if I'm going back, I'd better make more than $145.

I also reapplied for my old Summer Program job with Extend-a-Family. I skipped last year because I was occupied with the group home job, but the two years before that I managed to find a position despite not being a student when it is normally a student job. If I get a position this year, it will be the first time I've been a student while working for this student job since I began four years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment