Thursday, October 3, 2019

Solo SMG and Creepy Doll

This past weekend, I was asked to lead a Safe Management session. It was a recertification (people doing it the first time have to do 12-hours between two sessions, while people recertifying only have to do one six-hour session). There were only four people attending, which is the smallest course I've ever taught, and so far as I'm aware, there has never been a course taught with lower attendance.

I guess because of the low number, it was decided that only one facilitator was necessary. Normally, sessions are co-facilitated, but maybe because of the last-minute call to have me do a solo-session in June because my partner was sick, and because I did relatively alright, this has resulted in the organization having faith in me to lead my own sessions.

It helped that I knew most of the people in the course (I'm trying to be ambiguous, but "most of" four has to be three, so I knew three of them) and also, because the board room and I guess the resource room at the main office were booked, this means the session would be taught at WALES. My home turf.

During the session, we went over the Functions of Behaviour, abbreviated as SEATC (Sensory, Escape, Attention, Tangible, Communication). These are the five basic motivators for anyone to take action. It's not impaortant, but I feel that they missed out on the opportunity to use the abbreviation SCATE or STEAC.

I used the example of smoking as being a behaviour that serves multiple functions, being a Tangible (something physical) and also Sensory (release of tension). From there, it was brought up that it also serves as Escape (being able to take breaks from work), Attention (having a support group that comes together during smoke breaks), and Communication (having a group to bounce thoughts off of). From there, I had to concede that smoking apparently meets every function of behaviour.

At work, we found this creepy little doll attached to a magnet on our refrigerator. Here's a pic:






I later found it in our tuck shop cash register with a note attached to it "Hide me".

So I put it in our safe, which holds some of our members finances. Since then, it has been hung from a hook on the ceiling, it's been attached to our fire safety policy, it's been put in a glass cabinet beneath our TV, and it's been assimilated into a wall hanging, which is where I last found it.

In the past, I hung it from a bird feeder in our laundry room. This time around, I can't tell you

No comments:

Post a Comment