Thursday, January 2, 2020

New Year 2020

Happy New Year!!

On the night of the event, Lee-Anne came to Guelph and me, her, and Mom celebrated together. She got to partake in our tradition of jumping off of something, to "leap into the new year". Duncan was at a party, because he's a cool guy.

This year wasn't so hot for me in terms of how many times I managed to update this blog, but was fairly accomplished in other respects. I got my contract renewed at work, along with a little wage increase and an increase in hours, as well as getting some benefits. I adopted a cat, and I got a girlfriend!

Family cat in Guelph, Luna, also passed away near to the end of the year.

Last year I resolved to update this blog more times than 2018, which I failed to do. I even failed to beat 2017, which was the previous lowest-updated year.

I also resolved to get my G2 License, which I also failed to do. In fact, my G1 expired and I had to get it renewed this past year.

Some people are recapping the past ten years, since this marks the turn of the decade, but I'll spare you all, since you should know my history if your follow this blog.

Actually I won't. Let's do a point form recap of 2010-2020.

-I took the Katimavik Program and lived in Summerside, PEI, Thunder Bay, ON, and Chisasibi, QC. During this time, I worked at Community Connections, a day program for people with developmental disabilities and the Regional Food Distribution Association (RFDA)
-I did Canada World Youth and lived in La Pocatiere in Riviere de Loup, Quebec, and worked as a horticulturalist, and then in Karadie, Mali, as an agriculturalist in a subsistence village of 800 adults without English or electricity
-I did the Human Services Foundation Program at Conestoga College and got an Ontario College Certificate
-I did the Social Service Worker Program and got an Ontario College Diploma
 -I worked as an Info Desk employee, booking study rooms and answering questions regarding college events
 -I became a Student Life Intern, helping run the Respect Campaign, hosting volunteer events and overseeing their implementation
-I've worked as a Direct Support Person since 2015, providing one-on-one support to people with disabilities
-I did four years over a span of five working as a Summer Program Leader
-I did a year of Independent Facilitation with Facile, later known as Bridges to Belonging
-I became a Safe Management Instructor, which I've been doing for almost three years, teaching crisis intervention and prevention techniques
-I was a Child and Youth Worker with Hatts Off, doing  night shift at one of their group homes for about half a year
-I did a year of University at U of W
-Then got a job offer at WALES and ditched everything to join that team
-This wound up getting me a girlfriend, Lee-Anne
-This past decade, I have lived in eleven places, and had thirty five roommates (not including family, Katimavik PLs, host families, or long-term guests)

Even if I failed last year, I'm going to keep steady on my resolutions. I resolve to have 40 or more updates for this blog in 2020, and I want to become more health-conscious. Having an out-of-town girlfriend who can't get her license will hopefully be the motivation I need to finally achieve that goal. Also, having expended the invincibility of my twenties, and having established myself in my career, hopefully I will be able to prioritize my own sense of wellness this coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment