Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Student Placement

My roommate is back from the hospital. His progress has been slower than expected, but consistent. He's going to need to have a surgery done once his kidneys are back to normal levels, which will probably happen mid-March. In the meanwhile, he can stay at home, although he still has a bit of equipment attached to him. Obviously he can't work at the moment.

Somehow, I failed to mention in recent posts a fairly significant development in my life. Lee-Anne is currently living in Brampton and attending the University of Toronto, with classes on Monday and Tuesday, and student placement on Wednesday through Friday. She had a placement in Toronto that fell through, and when looking for a potential replacement, the person in charge of scouting out opportunities found one for her at Family and Children Services, run through the Family Centre... in Kitchener.

It's a twenty minute walk from where I live. When I was an Independent Facilitator, the agency I worked for operated through that building.  Turns out, it was noticed by the person scouting opportunities that Lee-Anne had experience in Waterloo Region.

So she's been staying at my place Wednesday through Friday. We're five weeks into this arrangement. It's the first time that I've shared living space with someone that I'm in a relationship with, although we're still only kind of half-living together.

Most of her stuff is still in Brampton, but we've put down a few pieces of light furniture to accommodate her regular presence here. We put up a set of hooks and got a set of drawers, just one of those three-drawer plastic things that you can attach wheels to and find in the tupperware aisle at Wal Mart for $35, but still.

I'm lucky I didn't know about these giant tupperware drawers back when I was decorating for myself, or I might never have found the motivation to pay for, transport and assemble actual furniture. It was such a pain, and this plastic thing was cheap, light, and ready to use at purchase. I might've just stacked a few of them and called it a day.

Lee-Anne's also been able to meet a few members of the family. We had dinner with my cousin Sarah a couple weeks ago, and had lunch with my Aunt Nancy last weekend. Being in Brampton so often has made the Toronto branch of the family more accessible.

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you might remember that I, at one point, frustrated by my laundry situation, impulsively bought a stacked washer dryer without realising that I don't have a hookup for it. Well, ever since then, it's just been sitting in my living room, as a stupid-looking storage unit, as a daily reminder to be more mindful with my money.

Until recently. Me and Lee-Anne managed to sell it on Facebook Marketplace. Well, Lee-Anne did. I posted it first and got a lot of responses. Turns out, people generally ask a lot more questions than I did when I made my purchase. I learned a lot about it, such as, it's an Electrolux, 6'2" tall, 27" wide, 28" deep, 45" deep with dryer door open, with a 240 v plug. Think it was built in 2004. Didn't know any of this until people started asking and I had to look it up. Lee-Anne reposted the ad and we had better data on how to sell it. Well, that, and I'm just not much of a salesman.

I get another holiday. Turns out, I had another 33 hours to spend before the end of the fiscal year, which is the end of March. So I am taking the last week of march off. I'll have to be conscientious of how much vacation time I get in the coming fiscal year. After March, the fiscal year begins again, and I get about three weeks off total. This was my first full year at WALES (I came in partway through the last one), so I guess I was just not prepared

No comments:

Post a Comment