Thursday, December 28, 2023

Christmas 2023

It's become a bit of a pattern that we'll be visiting Lee-Anne's family at Christmas, and then see mine on New Years. The big gathering usually happens on Boxing Day, as it did this year. 

It was a green Christmas and Boxing Day. Regardless, last year with my post titled "White Christmas" I committed to end my colour-themed holiday tradition, even though I don't think I ever used green. If memory serves, I had blue for 2019, grey for 2020, brown for 2021, and white for 2022. I'm almost regretful I'm not continuing the theme, but it's probably best to end on a high note. Also best not to tempt fate to keep justifying new colours, or we'll wind up with a Red Christmas eventually.

It was very rainy, and continues to be as of this posting. We'll still probably get some cold weather in the back half of the season. That seems to be how it works nowadays, but it's still weirdly temperate.

I got a set of dummbbells as a gift, one 20 pounds and one 30. That might seem odd, but it was to match the ones I have at home, so now I have a pair of each. After getting them home, I noticed that while the newer ones are the same weight as the older, they're significantly larger. Must be a difference in material.

These weights will be useful for working out, but I'll also use them to cat proof the house while we're away. Right now, whenever we leave overnight I jam all the doors by putting towels in their top joints, as our cats are capable of shutting themselves in rooms. I've also been putting weights in front of the two doors I feel like they're most likely to mess with. Finn can climb on top of the bathroom door, so I worry about him either jumping up and knocking it down, or using the towel to climb up and pulling it down in the process. There are four doors in our apartment, so now I've got a weight for each.

Lee-Anne got a set of drawers and she brought back an office chair. I think she already owned the chair, she just brought it back since we had the opportunity. It's useful for me, as this year I finally returned my work office chair to the building. During lockdowns, we got permission to bring some of our stuff home as that was where we were doing most of our work, but since we've fully reopened it stopped making sense. Now we have two office chairs in our apartment again.

Lee-Anne got me The Anti-Planner, a resource for people with ADHD. We have one at work, and I've used it a few times to help me navigate through some tougher days. It's mostly a tool to help with emotional regulation. It's got a series of categories of difficult emotions that people with ADHD are prone to, and then sub-categories that narrow it further. Each of these sub-categories have a series of activities that can help provide clarity.

For Lee-Anne, I got her two tarot decks. One was a newer version by the same person that developed the one she's been using. The other was Cat Tarot, which is not faithful to the universal symbols set by Rider-Waite, but I figured she's got two legit decks already, she can have a gimmick one. Every time we'd checked out the tarot section at Indigo she'd taken note of the cat one, so I figured it was time to get it.

They finally dropped their holiday offer of a discounted throw blanket with purchase at Indigo. We have three Indigo throw blankets from doing holiday shopping there the past three years. I'd joked that in 20 years we'd have 20 blankets, but I guess not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment