Thursday, July 4, 2013

Stove and Fridge

Well, I've been working at the order picker place for the past three days now, and I'm going in again tomorrow. Going on a four-day run for the first time this summer. They changed the order of one of the lines and they added a new one.

We got a new fridge and stove courtesy of the new renovations being made on the house. We're also getting our roof examined and we got all our overhead light fixtures done up proper. Seems like this is going to be a pretty thorough, all-inclusive makeover for the house.

Canada passed a little while ago. Canada Day was my first day of Canada World Youth, my two year anniversary since it's beginning, and a year and a half since it's completion. Because of that experience, every Canada Day, I think of Mali. Today is the Fourth of July, and since I didn't spend Canada Day thinking about Canada, I'm using today to do that. What else would I use today for?

Since my sunflower got so big, my neighbour is telling me to mound up the dirt around the stem over the place it got split, so it's got a foundation to stand on it's own, and I can stop staking it. He says that the place it was split will grow roots. But I'm afraid of suffocating the plant, since when I was a horticulturalist, it was always important not to bury the stem. My brother says this is because plants breathe through their stems. Anyone know if there's any truth to this "rooting out" theory or this "suffocation" theory? I want to either know if there's any benefit to mounding up to the snapping point, or if there's any risk in trying. The gash in it's side happened very early on in it's development, but as the plant grew, the gash grew a bit as well, so now it's a little higher on the plant, although still somewhat near the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment