Sunday, August 23, 2015

Impeesa and Kimbercote

Sorry it's been so long guys! I just finished two weeks of overnight camp, in which I couldn't update because I was gone 24/7. I was home during the weekends but my computer is (mostly) broken, and since I have two other jobs, I just didn't have time to access something to update the blog.

First week of overnight we stayed at Camp Impeesa. I went there last year. To review, it's pronounced "Impessa", it's usually a Boy Scout's camp, and it's named after the guy who invented Boy Scouts' nickname when he was fighting in South Africa. It was given to him by his enemies and he said it meant "The Wolf that Never Sleeps". However, it actually means "Hyena"| in Ashanti. It's supposedly haunted by a ghost named "Drumbo Dan" who was killed there after losing his feet, and who therefor cuts off peoples feet off in an attempt to reattach them to his ghost body.

Second week was at Kimbercote. Last year was the first that Impeesa was used, and for at least three years prior to my joining Summer Program and likely more, Kimbercote was the go-to location for overnight. I'd heard plenty of stories about how much rougher Kimbercote was, so I was very eager to experience it myself. It wasn't so bad. The location was far more remote than Impeesa. The cabin seemed older, and had a number of personal touches and quirks, but it was fine for our purposes. It's near Collingwood, it's at the top of a hill, and the view is spectacular.

Over the two weeks we had campfires, went on hikes, went swimming, watched movies, played games, held a dance... A staff at Extend-a-Family has a farm near Collingwood and we went there for a day trip. We also had a day trip at Bingemins water park on the last Friday (scheduling difficulties landed us in Kitchener a bit early in the second week, but we got an extra day trip out of it). At Bingemins we did the wave pool, warm water jet stream, water slides, and mini golf as well as a few games the staff led nearer the end of the day.

It was a good two weeks!

I have a place to live next month! Moving in with a couple of friends. I was getting pretty nervous when I had half a month to find a place and knew I was spending two weeks out camping.

And two of my sunflowers blossomed! I'm calling it a good omen and naming them after my two future roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment