Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Moving Day

Well, yesterday I moved out of student housing, where I'd been living for two years and had shared living space with a total of twenty different roommates over that timespan. When I showed up, I had only two suitcases and a backpack. Now that I'm leaving, I've got three suitcases, two backpacks, five garbage bags and some miscellaneous stuff. And I threw out a lot of stuff and made a number of house donations to future students because I couldn't be bothered to move it all. It's crazy how you build up possessions. By the time I'd moved all my stuff out, it didn't even make the house look much different, just showing that everyone's got a similar kind of buildup. And of me and the two people I'm moving in with, I wasn't the one with the most stuff either.

And even though three people just moved in with their own stuff... the place is furnished. Really nicely, too. It has a lot of neat personal touches and the impression of a family that had been here a long time, although I hear the family before us had only been here briefly. There are decorations, board games, books, a DVD and VHS collection etc,

I finally took the industrial-sized panini press and beer machine from the house, which belonged to my first generation of roommates.

All of my delicate stuff survived the move. My stick from Chisasibi, my drum, masks, and animal carvings from Mali, my paintings from the Summer Program overnight, my certificates from Ways2Work, Katimavik, Canada World Youth, and Human Services Foundation and my diploma from Social Services. My spice rack. My raffle-won French Press, wine glasses and cheeseboard all made it.

But by some twist of fate, my spice rack did not survive the night. I'd successfully gotten it to the other side and had propped it up on the counter. It had survived in student housing propped up on a counter just like it for months, and then after everything was over, one of the people that helped us move bumped it and one of the glass bottles broke.

Do you remember me blogging about how I got this classy spice rack with specified bottles that had the leaf of their respective spice engraved in metal on them? And that I got a bunch of spices just to fill the rack? Tarragon and turmeric were the only ones I didn't know, and tarragon was the most expensive and hardest to find on the rack. I got it in a little glass bottle the same size as the bottle I wanted to put it in, just to complete the collection. It was my show spice.

As soon as I heard her say that one of the spices broke, I said "It better not be tarragon".

It was tarragon. I don't even know if I want the spice rack anymore, since it's now incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment