Wednesday, October 28, 2015

New Story

Guess where I am?

...

... If you guessed a hotel in Brantford for a three-day training session, you got it! Transportation and hotel charges covered by my employer. I'm call this my first business trip! And since the hotel has a complimentary breakfast and my training a complimentary lunch, I'm pretty much covered for food, too.

All of my coworkers with Facile have done this New Story training except for me, because I was hired at an unorthodox time, and because when I first started working, I had two jobs and couldn't take on anything more. I'm the only person representing Facile for these session.

Funny thing is, my training is at a hotel, but my room is booked at a different hotel.

This room is sweeeeet. I've got two beds (for some reason), a fridge, microwave, TV (that I can watch TV on!) WiFi, shower with towels, soap, conditioner, shampoo, and body wash, even an ironing board!

My door has a peep hole! I haven't lived in a place with a peep hole since I was a teenager! I tested it out, and a guy walked by at that exact moment, just in time to get peeped at! I have one of those manual clasp locks, which brought back distant childhood memories. In fact, sliding that lock gave an eery sense of deja vu.

It's strange how I appreciate stuff that I used to disregard, and to be fair, should probably still disregard. But when I get into my room, I get so jazzed about everything ("WOW! Complimentary toilet paper!")

This place gives me flashbacks of the Residence at Conestoga. And I guess it should, since the Conestoga Residence is a repurposed hotel.

What a location! There's a Food Basics, a Zehrs, and a natural food supermarket all less than a block from each other. There are two malls across the street from one another. There's a Winners and a Sears literally facing each other. There's a Value Village, a Mark's Work Warehouse, and a Moores. There's an LCBO, a dollar store, a TD bank (and several other banks that don't concern me) restaurants, fast food joints, and pubs. I have literally never been in a neighbourhood so versatile in terms of shopping and consumer needs.

Unfortunately, it didn't support my specific shopping needs today. Since I'm away for three days, apparently one of my shoes thought this would be the perfect day to develop a tear. We're getting the tail end of Hurricane Patricia and my torn shoe is doing an insufficient job of keeping my foot dry, so I went shoe shopping. But  I've got shoes at the house, so I didn't want to buy anything fancy, but none of these clothing stores had anything at a decent price, or even anything in my size. So annoying.

Last night, me and my roommate watched a horror movie, the remake of Poletergeist. It involves a possessed old house, an oncoming storm, electronics malfunctioning, and an oncoming storm. We were living in an old house with strange furnishing, my computer had just fried, hurricane Patricia was setting in, and it was a full moon night. To top it off? The character that gets the most focus is a young boy named Gryphon (alright, Griffin). WHY?! Sometimes life just syncs up in disgusting ways like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment