Thursday, March 17, 2016

Birthday Brother

Last time I updated, I chose to speak of my new piggy banks, apparently because I thought they were more important than my brother's birthday. It was last Saturday, I went back to Guelph, and that's why I was commenting on the Greyhound station change. I got him a camera for his birthday.

Because he's my polar opposite astrologically, (Pisces happens on the opposite side of the year to Virgo) that means that I'm about twenty-six and a half. Halfway through the year to entering my late-twenties.

They say that the sign on the opposite side of the year to yourself will have the most difficult time adapting to you, but will give more opportunity to learn than any other on account of the difference. I can really see this with my brother. I feel quite opposite to him, and yet... We both have the same Myers Briggs results (INFP) and our Personality Dimensions test both have primary blue (empathetic) secondary green (inquisitive), tertiary orange (adventurous), and lastly gold (organized) although my green and blue are more close, and he has a bit more gold than me. So I feel like we're the opposite, but we score the same on these tests.

My coffee maker broke. I bought it for like, $9 once I finished my first year of student housing. It produced coffee for like, a year and a half, and so I believe it surpassed expectation. It lasted three moves. At one point, it's coffee pot broke and was replaced by the pot of a spare maker. Eventually, the fuse under the power switch stopped working, and that's what put it to rest.

So our maker broke, we realized my roommate had another one, we replaced it and then... it's coffee pot broke, almost inside the same day. The old coffee pot won't go inside the new maker, either. They've got a method including layering tinfoil to collect heat, but I find that cumbersome. I've been using instant.

In a similar vein, my lamp's on/off knob broke. Luckily for me, it was on when it broke. So I just have to plug or unplug my lamp if I want to see.

Recently, a computer beat the world's greatest Go player. Go is a board game with fairly simple rules, but intensely complicated strategies involved. The rules are to take turns placing pebbles on a board, and if one person's pieces are surrounded, they convert to the enemy's pieces.

For awhile, no computer program could stand against creative human intelligence. Then one day, a program was invented that could beat the world's greatest chess player, and we took a great loss. Humanity was angered, and practiced for revenge. We succeeded, but it was a temporary victory. Artificial intelligence came back again, took a win, and since then, chess has belonged to the computers.

Go was a game that artificial intelligence could never really figure out. Now that we have Go-playing robots, it's only a matter of time...

1 comment:

  1. If it helps, another way to look at it is that programming techniques started out as very crude tools. Eventually, we were able to refine them to create a program that could play chess better than their creators. Now, we have tools that make it possible to create a Go-playing program that's better than its creators. (And pretty much everyone else, if it is now a 9th-dan program.)

    Still, the Go program doesn't understand chess, and chess programs can't play Go. We're really good at creating AI that can understand one specific concept very well, or that can understand very general concepts adequately (like Jeopardy questions), but there's currently a really big gap in between.
    It's kind of like if you were using Maps or Waze or something to get from Guelph to Windsor, and you decide to turn off the 401 onto a different road. For quite some time, the apps insist that you turn around and get back on the highway because THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. Eventually they realize oh, you did know where you were going.

    ReplyDelete