Friday, March 25, 2016

Good Friday

Remember how my phone's charge socket was loose, and I had to rig up a system where I taped a pen to the tip of the charge cord and wrap a rubber band around the pen and the phone to apply consistent pressure so it would charge?

Well, recently the metal tab on the charger broke off. I went to a convenience store and got another charger. It worked exactly once, and the next time I had to charge it, the metal tip caved in. I figured that if I had to apply enough pressure that chargers broke after one use, my phone was basically done. My phone plan has a system that lets me get a new phone every two years for free, so I wanted mine to live another 9 months.

I bought another one and tried putting it in before crafting a new pressure system. The phone lit up and I dropped the charger in shock. I put it in again, and it worked. No elevated charge angling, no pen, no tape, no rubber bands. It just works, like a charger is supposed to. Completely baffling.

I came into Guelph yesterday for graphic facilitation training. It was a really cool day, lots of really practical and insightful concepts regarding images and communication.

I'd been planning on coming to Guelph the next day (today) for Easter, and it didn't seem practical to go back to Kitchener and then pay for a Greyhound ticket the next day and come back, but I had one meeting on Good Friday. As I was leaving, I got a message saying the meeting was canceled. Very fine timing for me.

But because of this, I didn't bring my computer, my phone charger, or anything. And because only that one specific charger works for my phone, that means my phone died and couldn't be recharged.

My neighbour told me that, in relation to my complaint that my phone won't pull up a keypad when making outgoing phone calls (but will for incoming phone calls, strangely), that I should take out the SIM card, turn it off and let it sit for 24 hours. This lets the phone reset itself. I said I couldn't conceive of 24 hours when I didn't need my phone.

But I'll be in Guelph for over 24 hours, my phone just died and I can't recharge it, so I guess we're going to see.

We had an ice storm in Guelph. Tree branches froze and fell from becoming too heavy to be supported. Roads blocked and power lines torn apart from falling branches. I was walking down the street and saw two branches in two instances fall from their trees. One did barricade a road and tear a power line. I saw this, went into the road and tried to move the branch. I could move but not lift it. If it had just been wood, I could have done, but there's a reason the tree couldn't hold it anymore, you know?

Then someone came out of his house, and someone out of their car, and someone out of the street, and together we moved the branch off the road. People came out to thank us too. It was a cool community moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment