Sunday, September 17, 2017

First Week of Uni

So I had my first full week of University. I'm taking Social Statistics, Intro to Sociology, East Asian Studies, Fine Arts, and English. Social Statistics and Intro to Sociology are specific to my program, Fine Arts is because I need an art credit, East Asian Studies is because I need a culture credit, and English is because I need to show I'm literate. Some kind of school policy.

Social Statistics, Intro to Sociology, and East Asian Studies are all in the Renison building, which is like the Social Work Building, and all three are held in two rooms which are right next to each other. Fine Arts is in East Campus Hall, which is on the direct opposite side of the school. I have one day where I finish Fine Arts and then have 40 minutes before East Asian Studies starts, and I use all 40 minutes walking over. My English course is online.

The fact that we have East, West, North, and South Campus halls basically means this place is so big that we have districts.

When I first went into Social Statistics, I noted that of the approximately 35 students, I was the only male. I'm used to being in a gender minority, but in SSW, it was an 80% female-20% male ratio. Even highly female dominated courses like Personal Support Worker and Early Childhood Education would have like, four males per class. I don't mind being in a minority, but when I'm the sole example, I stop being a minority, and start being just a dude. A lone exceptionality.

I was told I'd be the only white person in East Asian Studies, but that turned out to not be true. Pretty wide diversity of nationalities. I'm definitely more of a minority in Social Statistics. Probably a room full of social workers who don't want to have to leave Renison to do their mandatory culture course.

But then when I went to Intro to Sociology, there were seven males in a class roughly the same size as Statistics. But I talked to one of them, and he was an engineer doing an elective. So maybe the other six are the same way.

Renison actually has dorm rooms on the top floors. I think that's crazy. Even during my year in the residence at Conestoga, I thought it was kind of weird that when I went to sleep, it was on school property. It was like always being in school. But this place actually has students living in the same building that they take classes in. One of my classes lets out at 9:20 PM. I'm sure there are students partying above us at that time.

Almost done my first art project. I carved a design into a board, and now we're going to make a print of it.

Despite the fact that I have to take an English course to prove that I'm literate, because I had transfer credits from both SSW and HSF, they put me in a course that's like, two years advanced. My friend was laughing at me.

At Conestoga, we had an on-campus pub called The Sanctuary that was open Tuesday and Thursday mornings (always thought it was weird to encourage drinking on a Tuesday morning in a school). At UW we have The Bombshelter, and it's at least open every day from when I step onto campus to when I leave, which is sometimes after 9:00 PM. Similarly, our Tim Horton's shut down at 7:00 PM at Conestoga, but even walking to the bus stop after 9:20, the UW location is still open. I wonder if their establishments ever close.

This school is bigger than I'm used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment