Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Quit Again

I quit my job again. The girl who was supposed to take half my sleep shifts quit because of stress, and so for the past two weeks I've been working full time, studying full time, and working two part-time jobs. It got to the point where I'd only be home for a few hours each day to shower and change my clothes, and stay over Friday and Saturday nights. It's a weird feeling, being paying to live at one place, and being paid to live at another.

Getting paid to sleep is pretty swell, but the time commitment alone was brutal. I'd shift on at midnight and have to get up to help with morning routines at 6:30, so I was never going to get more sleep than that. Didn't usually get to sleep through the night either, as something would usually come up. I was averaging 3-5 per day. Travel time was ridiculous, an hour to get home from work, an hour and a half to go to school. And then there were lots of awkward inbetween times where it wasn't worthwhile to go home, so you'd just float around campus or downtown. And since my classes end in the evening and my work starts at night, not much would be open to occupy my time.

But I still agreed to be put on the relief list. My last regular shift is Thurs night.

I went home to Guelph for an evening and part of a day last weekend. My birthday is tomorrow, and I won't be able to go home for it, so we celebrated last Friday and Saturday. They gave me a food processor, a cookbook, and a mask from Ghana.

It was nice to be able to use the student discount at the Greyhound again. I missed all those discounts. First time I've used one since I started. My student card is also a city bus pass, so that's another thing I don't need to buy monthly anymore.

Got my school textbooks. Since OSAP hasn't come in yet, I had to pay out of pocket. During certain times back at Conestoga, I would not have been able to do that. One thing I'm really going to miss about working full time is the ability to make casual purchases without worrying about going broke. Although I know some people with better income than me, but they manage to be poorer than me. I don't know how they do it.

I'll probably post again on my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment