Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Christmas 2017

Christmas 2017 is now over. I spent the actual day quite ill with fever, difficulties digesting, and weaving in and out of consciousness due to extreme fatigue. The previous day I had been a bit gaseous, and then Christmas morning, I woke up without much of an appetite, and then within a couple of hours I was laid out, sweating, and almost delirious. Most of the worst of it was done by midnight, so it really was a bug set just for Christmas day.

Boxing day, I still had difficulties with digestion and was still fatigued enough to take an involuntary nap in the middle of the day, but the fever was gone. Today I seem to have my full energy back, and just a bit of lingering digestive issues. I never had a headache or respiratory issue, which I find are the most uncomfortable symptoms anyway.

Neither my mother or brother caught it. It's speculated that it might have been food poisoning, but I haven't had anything different to eat than them, since I've been at home for about a week. The only time I ate anything different from them was when I went to my roommate's dinner party last Friday. But since Christmas was on Monday, that leaves a 2-3 day gap between the party and when I got sick. Apparently there's an E. coli outbreak in some Canadian provinces, including Ontario, which is being spread through Romaine lettuce. One of the dinner guests brought a salad, and apparently E. coli takes about three days to manifest, so maybe that was it.

For Christmas this year I got some boots, which was inspired by the fact that I was telling them about how I just wear running shoes throughout the winter, and it gets awkward when the parents of people I support bug their kids to wear boots when I myself don't bother. I got a new wallet, which was a long time coming since the section with all my cards on my old one was literally being held together with Scotch tape, and I also got some paint supplies.

Me and my brother pitched in and got mom a deep freezer. She also got some cooking gear and a toolbox. My brother got a couple video games, an Alpaca scarf, as well as some other fashion stuff.

Family decided we were all going to do a dessert this year. Brother made nanaimo bars, mom made a red velvet cake, and I made a blueberry pie. I decided to do the blueberry pie since it was my entry and the hottest selling item at an old college bake sale, but since my mother and brother are acquainted with my grandmother's signature wild blueberry pie, I felt it might be an unwise choice matched with this more discerning audience. End result was alright, although the crust had the issue of cracking and leaking like with my last attempt.

My aunt and cousin are coming over today and staying overnight. Then on New Year's Eve, we're having dinner with some of my grandparents. Then it's onto a New Year and a new semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment