Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sickness, Misc

Last Sunday/Monday (my first day of the week), I was feeling horrible. I felt like I could sense every one of my organs not quite working up to par. I had zero energy, my shoulders ached, and I had a throbbing headache. The day previous, I had slept for eight hours, stayed awake for eight hours, slept another four hours, and was awake for four hours. So sleeping half the time. I still went to work, but I wasn't worth the $12 an hour the company pays me. I was passing out at my work station, and My mind drifted across all the major events of my life, like my life was slowly flashing before my eyes, or at least drifting. When my workmates goaded me about passing out or looking at the clock, I just growled at them and they didn't keep at it long. I felt like I was perceiving things through a filter. It became difficult to imagine ever feeling better. When I got home, I slept for ten and a half hours straight. I got up, played a handheld videogame. After a bit, the stress of concentration caused my shoulders to hurt, then my headache came back, then I lost all my energy and had to take a nap.

I went to work again, this time feeling slightly better than the previous night. By the end of the workday I was feeling kind of stable. Next night, I was better. Sometimes, you just need to give your body the options of "heal or die" and you will heal faster.

Did I tell you guys that the "spinning" job at my work, which I learned on my third day when I was on Days, I avoided telling people on Nights that I knew how to do it, because it's a job you have to do standing up? Well, I got retrained. Today, our spinner kept alternating between spinning and machining as needed, and we had an extra worker on our team, so we were falling behind, and eventually I felt obliged to step up.

It wasn't bad. It gave me the adrenalin rush I had for my first assignments when I was on the job. I was so obsessed with keeping pace and doing everything right, I forgot to be dying from monotony.

Also, spinners get stools now. They had to stand before, because you need to be at an elevated height, but now there are tall stools.

I swear, this job has helped my Karate. On endurance holds, I'm far superior than I used to be. I can easily do a round without breaking. Why? Because, when we're doing large parts, everyone at work has to stand, and while it's not as excruciating or intense a test, standing for eight hours a day with nothing to think about certainly gives you time and reason to be figuring out pain-distraction methods. Almost feels like cheating, though. Like, in Karate, I should embrace and find my way through the pain, not distract myself from it. Whatever. Sensei's always said to find distractions.

Also, doing a task over and over an over, learning how to execute it as fast and as accurately as possible, teaches you how to execute that kind of learning for any movement, which also translates to Karate. It's like Karate Kid!

When I was on the bus, some lady was like "Christopher?" to me. I said, "Gryphon". Apparently, she knows someone named Christopher, who looks exactly like me, talks exactly like me, and acts exactly like me. She told me he was 21 and asked me how old I was. I had to admit I was 21. He lives in Waterloo, a nearby city.

Funny... I've been mistaken for a "Christopher" before... But in PEI!

The cab I last used was being driven by a guy I'd lived in the same building with for like, 16 years! I did not bring this up, but I wish I had.

I made bread again. I thought my bread-making days were gone when our oven broke, but Mom's found some weird method of getting it done.

I'll probably be gone this weekend to visit my Dad in Toronto. Then it's three days next week and then.... Christmas vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment