Sunday, December 5, 2010

Back Online

So the problem with the computer was that the one that was working was a laptop, and the charger stopped giving juice. That's how I managed to make my farewells. It wasn't the COMPUTER, it was the charger, and it would keep working, but only as long as it's batteries held. When I was using it to say goodbye, I noticed the percentages were acting crazy... I started out with 20 minutes remaining, then 31, then 14, etc. It just kept bouncing! When I told the rest of my family about this, my brother inspected, and, turns out, the charger just decided to randomly just come fully back to life.

Today, I was in work for overtime. Remember how I once accidentally didn't show up for work when I was supposed to? Well, yesterday, I came to work when I wasn't supposed to. And, like before, I was the only one who made this mistake.

Well, my supervisor was far more surprised to see this mistake then the last one, and by today, it had been spread over the entire factory, which couldn't have been easy, since these are overtime days, with one being very exclusive. Apparently, the mistake of showing up to do work is far rarer than the mistake of not showing up. It wasn't a negative thing, but it was confusing exactly how astonishing it was to them. The higher-ups who let me into the building (Apparently just getting into the building was an impressive feat) apparently automatically assumed that I had been exclusively requested to come in that day, and until my direct supervisor saw me, I'd made my way all the way to my work station unquestioned. I guess that is kind of funny...

There's a meeting tomorrow, an hour long, and everyone who shows up gets paid for it. It's a little depressing that, since that's the day buses don't run, the extra hour's pay wouldn't cover the cab fare to get there.

They've had a meeting once before since I've worked here... That was a really trippy morning. First my bus went down a different route than it usually does, which made me feel suspicious but I didn't feel concrete in my decision that it was wrong, and I confirmed I was on the right bus, so I held tight, knowing that, at that point, the fact I could be wrong was my only hope to get to work. When we neared my workplace, I got off, and walked for a bit, only to realize that I was walking in the opposite direction than I usually do to get to work. I turned to go in the opposite direction, but as I turned, I saw that I was in front of my factory.

I walked through the parking lot, seeing no one, which is definitely weird I worried that the different bus route had caused me to take a longer time, but I usually arrive 20 minutes early, and I couldn't conceive that I was 20 minutes past the time I usually show up.

So I ring the buzzer, and some guy lets me in. He gives me a crazy look. When I go up to walk through the area to my normal station, I see him looking over his shoulder at me. I move along, and the factory is completely dead. Never seen it like this before. I open the door to go into the breakroom, and everyone in the plant is staring at me at once.

This is because there was a meeting, supposedly mandatory, that was never reported to the temps. It was held in the breakroom, and I appeared right behind the woman who was speaking.

I just moved to the nearest empty seat without saying a word and listened to the remainder of the presentation (I actually showed up ten minutes earlier than I usually do).

After the meeting, immediately, one of m temp friends came in. I asked him how he managed to dodge the meeting and he said "WHAT MEETING?!"

Almost immediately after, two more temps came in. Nobody knew about the meeting.

Despite strong encouragement frm my fellow temps to put the extra half-hour on my timesheat, I didn't. I felt like it would be saying "I showed up whenever I felt like it and interrupted your meeting. Pay me for it!"

At least no one could depute that I was there, since I drew attention to myself.

Yo, there's this guy I'm working with, who went to the same highschool as me, while I was attending, and for several years, he hung out in the same area that I did, and we saw each other on a daily basis, and he remembers my group, but neither of us remember each other, because we both looked completely different back then, and neither of us know anyone that the other person does, outside of teachers. I know he's not bluffing, because I told him a bit about where I used to sit, and he described my group in detail.

1 comment:

  1. I think there is something about workers in general and temps in particular where the default behavior is to do the minimum amount of work required. Having been a temp myself, I found that odd ... but I also saw occasions where a temp would come in and follow that stereotype exactly.

    If you're sticking in people's minds as someone who is unusual in a hard-working way, regardless of the reason for it, that's not a bad thing, even as a temp.

    ReplyDelete