Friday, March 25, 2011

CWY Toronto Meeting

Alright, quick update: CWY sent me an invitation to a mandatory meeting at the YMCA in Toronto this Saturday. They sent it to me this week. Today, I'm working until 7:00 AM. I'll then go straight to Toronto by Greyhound, then go straight to the meeting. Then I've got like, three hours to the next Greyhound. I'll come home, take the bus to submit my timesheet, come home, maybe have a nap, and then go to work.

This place considers Sunday to be the first day of the week for Nights, just like my last place did, so tonight is going to be an overtime shift. Before you call me a trooper, I've got MANDATORY six days!

What's up? Mandatory meetings, mandatory overtime... I can't even complain to my coworkers that I'm tired because of this, because then I'd have to let them know I'm preparing my escape plan for when the company finally finishes training me.

CWY wants $2800 to attend their program. I think each participant averages something like $20000 spent on them, so it's not unreasonable, but they slipped in an "application fee" of $250 for this meeting. So it's not $2800, it's $3050! Still not unreasonable, but it's kind of a dick move to pop hidden fees and deadlines inside a week of notice.

And I'm going to have to pay a cab to get to my work this Sunday! The last place was like, $20. This place'll be like $30! Screw that. I'm not paying almost half my day's wages to get to work... Oh wait. This week I might be forced to, but next week I'll go and hang out in the West End until 10:00 if I have to... Especially since I'm being paid like, $200 a week less than I thought I was. Now I know why my money's been crawling up at such a snail's pace.

Now that I'm on the bus schedule for Night Shift, I run into my former workmates. My bus turns into the one I want once I reach downtown, so it's a little awkward, because I have to get out of the bus and stand in the cold and lose my seat if I want to see them. I don't mind, but I worry it comes off as desperate.

The first day I saw them, I swung out of the bus all "WHEEE!" and pounced in front of them all "SHAZAM!" and then stood up in a Superhero pose and said "Hey guys, DIDJA MISS ME?!" and their response was "Hey, Gryph". C'mon, give me a little more than that!

Whenever I go anywhere by bus, I always get off a few stops early and walk the last leg. I only noticed I do this recently. People have frequently complained about this habit under various contexts, but I never realized it was such a consistent habit. At my old work, at this work, whenever I'm coming home, whenever I go to Karate... I don't know why I do it.

At this new line, for the first two days, all they'd let me do is load. So every couple minutes I'd move something. Basically getting paid to stand for eight hours. Yesterday, they let me grind, but they didn't let me grind and load at the same time. Looks like I'm going to spend a couple days doing each task before they let me put the tasks together. My old trainer told me this is how she would have trained me, if I hadn't been trained for two weeks before I was switched onto her. I think this is more effective, but more mundane. Before, I would spend my days getting scolded and hassled, but I'd come home satisfied. Now I spend my days doing one task satisfactory for eight hours, but I come home furious.

No comments:

Post a Comment