Saturday, January 7, 2012

CWY Book Reviews

This is another link post. I read four books in CWY: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, The Coral Island, Coraline, and The Concubine's Children. I read the first three in Quebec, and the last in Mali. I found that a lot of people did a lot of reading in Mali, but I found it kind of escapist. I mean, I read the most in Quebec, when I definitely had the most reason to feel escapist. I was reading a cultural book in Mali, too, so it was weird to be like "Wow, it's so cool to be learning about such a different culture" when I was living inside of such a different culture. I'd always feel like, "You should be going outside, creating your own story out of experience, right now."

A lot of people in my group were reading books about Africa, too, which seemed so pointless. Why read about Africa inside Africa, when you can experience the real thing first-hand?

http://gryphonsreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/books-cwy-reads.html

No comments:

Post a Comment