Friday, March 20, 2015

Rip a Strip Off Stigma

My class had another fundraiser today. It was called "Rip a Strip Off Stigma". The main attraction was three men from the program volunteering to have their legs waxed in public. Everyone who made a $20 donation got to pull the wax strip off. They also had an Elvis impersonator, a roller derby, and a raffle. I bought $10 worth of tickets, and I won:

-A French press
-A cheese dish
-30 free movie rentals
-2 hours cleaning service

And they gave me and my buddy three pizzas.

So I'm having a classy wine and cheese party using my fancy new plate with a selection of cheddar cheese and some value-brand red wine.


They thought they were giving me ten movie rentals, too, but they didn't realize that each ticket was worth three!

The woman with the cleaning service is a friend of mine of three years. I'm gonna call her after I wreck the place with this wine and cheeser!

I didn't think I'd spend any money, but I wound up making a real value on the raffle And my friend was getting waxed even though he didn't belong to the group that was facilitating the event. So I wanted to punish him for it.

I wasn't there to volunteer but somehow I wound up selling the raffle tickets. It's like last year when I went to Stand Up For Mental Health, and I showed up a bit early. Wound up helping set up and people started ragging on me for lazing about texting and charging my phone to which I replied that I wasn't volunteering. But then when I went to get my ticket they gave me a volunteer discount and they gave the discount to the girl I brought as well.

That night I won a month of martial arts training in their raffle.

After winning tonight, I got to come home to an email asking about returning to my position as a Summer Program Leader! I'd ideally want something a bit more permanent, but hey, four months of full time employment coming right out of college is hard to turn down! It would take me right to the end of my lease in student housing as well. Might as well use it if I got it.

At WALES we just got our first-year student. How freaky! I remember being a first-year student and coming into WALES, starting work with the second years. Now I'm in my second year, going to mentor the first year. Circle of life, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment