Tuesday, January 12, 2016

New Place

Do you know what I think is pretty cool? When things you don't think have value become useful later down the line.

This is happening a lot in the new place. Since I don't drive, everything I had at student housing was something I could carry on my back. Since the last place came furnished, we didn't really need to establish ourselves there, either.

So in the new place, we've got no furniture.

One example of finding a new use for something is that, I bought a couple of tension rods for shower curtains at the other place because there was a strange alcove in the room I was sleeping in, like a closet but fixed above the floor, and with no door. So I tried to cover it up with a shower curtain as a makeshift door to make the room less cluttered.

And now, we don't have an alcove, but we do have a shower without a tension rod or curtain. Bam! Glad I made the effort to move those.

Also, I won a kind of romantic set in a raffle once, and part of the prize was a set of king size sheets. Now, I'm not going to have a king size bed anywhere in the near future. But you know what our place needs? Curtains!

I left my old mattress at student housing because we had mattresses at the new place. Now at the new place I don't have a mattress. Glad I've got an air mattress.

 Yeah, my last place was in a century home surrounded by family and coworkers. This place is a bit more realistic. The last place was like the home of an established social worker, this is more of a bachelor pad.

They never threw out the stuff I left behind in student housing, so I've got a mattress, bookshelf, and small dresser I could pick up, if I could find a way to transport it. One of my coworkers is donating a kitchen table, and my mom is donating a TV. Again, transportation's the issue.

We do have a microwave and toaster oven, which I wasn't planning to have for awhile.

We will have our Internet up this 21st, 22nd, or 23rd.

The weather has been so strange. Before Christmas, we had a heavy snowfall that seemed permanent but melted. Then a little after Christmas we had another huge snowfall, and after three days, that one melted too, Than it got seriously, and was raining for awhile. Then the rain turned to snow. Not packing snow, but the brittle, powdery stuff that happens when it's real cold. I actually was outside when it changed from warm rain to snow powder in front of my eyes. So all the melted snow froze to carpet everything in ice, and then the snow covered it up. Not easy to drive in, I can imagine.

And there's been snowstorms pretty consistently since.

No comments:

Post a Comment