Friday, January 22, 2016

PSW

I took on some Personal Support Work recently. I've already done two shifts, but they were kind of like training shifts, one where I shadowed a senior employee, and one where he shadowed me. This is work that deals with the more physical side of support, such as toileting, showering, helping with eating etc. I used to joke that, with all my training and certifications in First Aid and CPR, lifts and transfers, Safe Management, empathy training, and my experience with food service, toileting, showering, transferring, and administering medication, as well as the overlap causing me to work alongside PSWs, that I'd become a makeshift PSW myself. I guess this proves it. Recently, someone else who branched into the medical field from social work asked me if I wanted some work as a caregiver. I couldn't because I still don't have a car, but this is an interesting new dynamic to my work. It's not dealing with intellectual differences, just physical.

And speaking of not having a car, I've recently come across a way to fund some driving lessons, and then to get a car. Only concern I have is, is this the right time of year to be learning how to drive? I mean just from a weather perspective. Should I wait until spring?

And speaking of new employment, I just changed my resume font from Times New Roman to Garamond. Apparently using Times New Roman is a faux pas, since it was the default font on word processors for so long. Now it isn't. Word uses Calibri as default, and Google Docs uses Arial, but Times still has that novice reputation, and Word and Google attempting to get away from that is an example of this.

People who are passionate about fonts are interesting. I knew a girl who would only use Georgia. She was top of her class and concerned about her grades, just on the edge of getting an Honours grade, but when we got an assignment that specifically said that we would be docked marks if we didn't use Times or Arial, she drew the line right there. She was like "I only use Georgia" and risked jeopardizing her chances of an Honours grade by using a forbidden font.

I brought this up in a conversation with an old roommate, and he was like "To be fair, Georgia is an amazing font". It was actually him that recommended Garamond, as it had a similar style to Georgia, with a similar print size to Times.

I looked into it, and yeah, Garamond is a celebrated font by professionals. But if you put a list of "acceptable" fonts in front of me, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to identify them.

We... uh... have a dog over here. Her name is Winter and she's a husky puppy. My roommates got her. I'll post pictures in future updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment