Monday, February 29, 2016

Tubers of the Elephant's Ear Plant

So I went to Guelph and made Fufu. I made the batch that used tubers from the elephant's ear plant instead of the yam version, because when I told my mother that I could make Yam Fufu or Cocoyam Fufu, she said, "What's Cocoyam?" and I said "Coconut with yam" even though I hadn't read the ingredients. She thought it sounded good, and when I realized my mistake, I thought it would be a surprise best left after we'd eaten.

Surprisingly anticlimactic food. It was pretty bland, basically a flavour carrier, like bread or pasta, even if it wasn't wheat-based. What I made was more like a paste, but who knows if I did it right. Tastes pretty good with dips and sauces. My brother made my day by asking if it was alright if he finished the fufu.

I was hoping it would taste like Malian toh, and it didn't really. Tasted a lot better, but you know... that's not the point. Maybe the Yam Fufu will be different.

I dropped my PSW work. I'm equipped to deal with the hearts and minds of people, not so much their bodies. I'm good enough to be a stand-in PSW, but not as a full-time gig. Didn't have anything to do with squeamishness or timidity. I was fine in those areas, but it's a surprisingly complex job. You require a certain affinity, and it just didn't fit me. Things ended on good terms, but I don't think I'll be revisiting that career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment