Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bored...

So, there was this cartoon when I was a kid called Whatamess. At the time, I thought, "See, this is the kind of show I'll enjoy right now, but ten years from now, there's no way I'm going to remember it." Well, recently, I remembered it by remembering I wouldn't remember it. Here's the theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGeJ6jDPE2U

I'm on Night Shift as of this week. I'll be on Nights for two weeks and rotate to Afternoons. Then two weeks of that, and then move to Days, etc.

I've got a consistent station now. I do air gauging for housings. I'm not sure what they house, though. On the signout card, the part name is just called "Case".

I don't really leave my day with any good stories. I'm competent at my job, my coworkers are nice, the machines generally run smoothly, I get along with my supervisors... It's all very pleasant, but it lacks... dynamism.

I guess I'll explain what I do in more detail, then...

I have these seven rods. Each one has air coming out of it. I have these cases. The cases have holes and grooves in them, each one fitted for a certain rod. I put in the appropriate rod, and twist so it gauges the entire area. I have a computer which shows a meter. A coloured bar slides up and down the meter. If the bar is green, it's good. If it's yellow, it's still good. If it's red, I have to report to someone. I take cases from four machines.

Sometimes there's an air leak, so I have to replace a tube. Sometimes there's a buildup of grime, so I have to clean. Sometimes, the gauge handle comes loose and I have to tighten it.

And I do that all day for eight hours.

At the other places, my days were so dynamic, I couldn't even post about them! Even when I was just putting springs all day, I got to spring race people, fight to the top, feel the despair of being bested... I'd hope for sit down parts, fear stand up parts, think about how the day was broken down... At least the days were different.

Oh well, my life is gonna pick up soon enough. I might as well just clock in and clock out until my departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment